Travelling with one prime

Lenny

Mu-43 Regular
Mine would be the Pana 20mm - focal length not too long, not too wide, sharp and super compact. If size weren't an issue then I'd choose the Olympus 17mm f1.2... if I owned it :p

Alan_N

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Alan
When I travel I tend to take as much as I can with me, but then when walking / going around just a mininal amount. If it was just one prime my first thought was my Pany 15mm. Looking through my lightroom catalogue I have taken more with the 20mm but only because I have had that longer. Out of my primes I have taken more with my 45mm marco. But for general lens I would go for something between 15 and 25 mm. depending where you are going street landscape you are covered. If it was only one lens then a kit type zoom would be the choice. My prefrence if I had to go light one zoom and one fast prime in the range listed for any low light stuff.

Gerard

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Olympus 30mm macro lens turned out to be a perfect shoot everything lens during my Canadian Rocky Mountains trip.

Let's be honest, any lens will do. When 'forced' to limitation, there is still a thing called imagination. Sometimes it will help.

Real Name
Ray
I’d take my favourite FL, which also happens to be the best lens I own, the 17mm 1.2 Pro. Paired with my Pen-F or EM1-2 depending on the trip and I’m golden.....

That said, in reality, I almost always revert to zooms for travel......

mfturner

New to Mu-43
When I had my Canon setup my small travel kit was an aspc body with the 40mm pancake lens. I went on several trips like that, it was sharp enough to crop for a little more telephoto, stitched panoramas gave a little more wide angle, and my cell phone was even wider if I needed it.

The Olympus 30mm macro would be similar, and I've eyed it, but the P35-100 f4 fell into my lap and it's about as small and surprisingly sharp, so I'm trying that out with my cell phone for wide angle.

Only having a wide angle FOV never suited me like it does so many others, we are all different.

Meditabundo

New to Mu-43
I'm a minimalist, so I avoid carrying a lot of gear. Generally I would be fine taking only my Oly 17mm f1.8 or, even better, my PanaLeica 25mm f1.4. Used to be a 35mm guy, but that lens is lovely and had me shooting 50mm much more.

Shawn_D

Mu-43 Regular
Well, I just took a trip to the Monterey, CA area and while I travelled with 5 primes and 1 zoom lens I left the bag in my friends home or in the trunk several times. The lens that went with me each of those times was my 20mm f1.7ii.

The slowish focus doesn't bother me because of what I shoot (and it's still pretty fast). The only downside I see is the slight banding / extra noise it seems to create in super dark shadows in low light situations. (This is on my GX9, it's better than it used to be on other cameras I've owned.)

20mm pancake. Good for lots of things, including environmental portraits. Works well for panoramas on the wide end too.
The Panasonic 20mm pancake is a fantastic lens. Mounted on a smaller body (e.g., GM1), it makes a great combo for street shooting. I had the PL 25mm f1.4 and sold it because I never used it - the 20mm is so small, I always slip it into the camera bag.

Alexlotl

Mu-43 Regular
If I’m travelling light, I take my Pen-F with the P20 f/1.7 II. Focus isn’t the fastest, but it makes beautiful images and the combo fits in a P&S case, so I don’t need a dedicated camera bag.

I’d quite like to pick up a cheap P12-32 for a zoom take on the same concept.

Walter

Mu-43 Top Veteran
@Brecht
As I do not want to be too much limited in my options there are only two choices for me:
E-M5 with 2,8/12-40
or when I want to carry less:
Panasonic Lumix LX100.2
This allows all options from landscape to architecture, street shots, portrait and macro and both lenses are superb, fast enough and leaving no wishes open.

Last edited:

DlanorSekao

Mu-43 Rookie
Currently mine would have to be my Panny 20mm 1.7.....does it all quite well !
However I don't have the lens yet that would probably be a contender....Panny 25mm 1.7 or Oly 25mm 1.8......still deciding which one to get.

grcolts

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Gary
Which one would you take and why?

Have you done this already? How was the experience?
A second vote for the Panasonic 25/1.7.
I just used this lens for some nature stuff and it is a wonderful lens. Works great with the G9 too.
GR

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
I wish there was a bot that read all the comments and gave us a list of lenses with number of recommendations in descending order after every 10 comments or so.
Well, maybe every 20 comments (once per page). There kind of is such a bot in the sense this thread---and many like it---could have been set up with polls. For example,

travelling with a prime.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Which one would you take and why? Have you done this already? How was the experience?
Well, the Panasonic-Leica 45 mm f/2.8 macro is the only native mount prime I own. Yes, I've travelled with it extensively and it's proven routinely successful in delivering macro images. ;)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom