Travelling with one prime

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 23yrs ago
I've just bought the Olly 12mm with a single lens project in mind. With my style of photography/subject matter I'd likely miss shots with anything less wide. Some would consider it too wide but my thought process is that any shot that doesn't require that width could always be cropped. For example/self confirmation of choice, I went out one day with just the 14-150 and nearly every shot was at 14mm. I also went out the other day with just the Olly 17 and the panny 25 and the panny never left the bag. All day I was wishing that I had brought the panny 12-32 as it's a fine lens and weighs bugger all.

Bushboy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Charlie
I was quite shocked to read that you bought a 12...
You must be going to shoot the stars???
My one lens would have to be panny 25/1.7
Panorama makes it wider if need be. 50 megapixel if I need a crop.

BamaBoy

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Bob
I really kind of hate to say it on an M43 site but I will be traveling minimalist with a newly acquired Sigma dp2 Merrill with a 45mm equiv. FOV lens... going minimum with my backpacking tripod and a couple filters, batteries, cards etc... I am looking forward to shooting in manual and really taking time with each scene and see where this Foveon processor leads me. Go figure, life is full of surprises...

Bushboy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Charlie
What makes you say that? 12mm in m43 is the pretty bog standard (landscape) 24mm in FF so isn't exactly superwide
Because you already have the Panasonic zoom...
What is the project? I’m dying to know... :)

alex66

Mu-43 All-Pro
I can see the plus points of both a 17 and a 25 a nod to the latter with being more instinctive and a bit better for closer people shots. Now for those who have used the various 25's is the 1.4 PanLeica worth the upgrade from the lowly Panasonic 1.7?

SkiHound

Mu-43 Veteran
My initial response would be the PL 15mm f/1.7. And if I did it today, that's what I'd take. But the many comments from folks saying they'd take a 25 have me thinking I should go out with just the 25 and see what I get. I do think it's a good learning experience to use only a single prime for a while. That said, I'm not sure I could convince myself to not take a general purpose zoom if on a big trip.

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
I really kind of hate to say it on an M43 site but I will be traveling minimalist with a newly acquired Sigma dp2 Merrill with a 45mm equiv. FOV lens... going minimum with my backpacking tripod and a couple filters, batteries, cards etc... I am looking forward to shooting in manual and really taking time with each scene and see where this Foveon processor leads me. Go figure, life is full of surprises...
I've been really tempted by the Foveon cameras lately, but what's holding me back is the limited dynamic range. It looks way too easy to blow highlights. I'm interested to hear about your experiences!

Armand Di Meo

Mu-43 Regular
Olympus 45mm f1.8. Amazing sharpness, fast, very compact, perfect for portraits, and good for a wide variety of shots.

Last edited:

mezapp

Mu-43 Regular
I've been really tempted by the Foveon cameras lately, but what's holding me back is the limited dynamic range. It looks way too easy to blow highlights. I'm interested to hear about your experiences!
The key is to underexpose and then adjust the X3F fill lighting in post (unfortunately using Sigma Photo Pro). Fix the lighting and export for further editing.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom