Travelling with one prime

RyanM

Mu-43 Veteran
It's an interesting proposition. I don't think I'd do a whole vacation with one prime lens. The shooting situations are generally just too varied. And, if I'm travelling, it often means I won't get a chance to visit again in the near future and get shots I missed. With m43 primes so small and light, why not take a couple more and not miss those opportunities? That being said, I definitely would travel with a kit of 2-4 primes (and have done so). Also, on a given outing within a trip, I will definitely go out for the day or the evening with just one prime and the other stashed at the hotel/Airbnb.

Edit: when I go out with one lens it's generally either the 15mm f/1.7 (P14 f/2.5 before I bought that one) or P25 f/1.7.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
With my current lenses, if I had to travel with just one prime, it would be my Pany 14mm with GWC1 on my Gx85. Size, size, and size. In fact I do travel with this prime and my 35-100 f4/5.6 sometimes.

comment23

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Simon
O17/1.8 for me. I like the O25/1.8 too but it doesn’t look as sexy to my eye (and I find it slightly less versatile on typical trips).

The 17/45 combo is my favourite if I’m allowed 2 prime lenses. 12-40 PRO if I feel like a zoom. Anything else is just GAS (and I’ve had plenty as evidenced by my kit drawer).

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
O17/1.8 for me. I like the O25/1.8 too but it doesn’t look as sexy to my eye (and I find it slightly less versatile on typical trips).

The 17/45 combo is my favourite if I’m allowed 2 prime lenses. 12-40 PRO if I feel like a zoom. Anything else is just GAS (and I’ve had plenty as evidenced by my kit drawer).
Same here except I prefer my 25/1.8 over the 17/1.8 usually. With those two I also sometimes also bring along the 45/1.8 but it gets the least amount of use. But for the purposes of answering the question of this thread while I prefer the 25 over the 17, if it was going to be multiple days and I could only take ONE prime, then I might opt for the 17mm since the 25mm might be a little tight in some situations and hopefully with the 17mm I can step up closer if needed (often it seems you can step closer with a wider lens but not as often can you step back further with a longer focal length).

tkbslc

Super Moderator
It would have to be a moderate wide angle. 14-20mm range depending on whether I plan to shoot a lot of people or all scenery. There's a reason all the fixed prime lens compacts have lenses in this 28-40mm equiv range, both past and present. They are extremely versatile.

If you think about it, the majority of people have been traveling this decade with only a prime lens. It's the one in their phone! And it's about 28mm EFL (14mm in m4/3).

Gavin E

New to Mu-43
For me it would be the Oly 300 f4.0; it's my walking around lens - I went grocery shopping with it over my shoulder this morning. I am a birder. For subjects that are not birds it would be the Panny 20. It's a nice field of view and compact.

exakta

Mu-43 Top Veteran
In the 35mm film days, I had some fixed lens cameras (40mm, 44mm) and then SLRs but only the normal lens (50mm) for years because I couldn't afford any more lenses, so you can guess what I used while traveling ;)

Today it would be a 25mm. I don't own a 17mm and consider 14mm or wider to be too wide to use as my only lens (one thing I dislike about my iPhone camera).

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
The one prime I travel with is my PL15mm. Great for exteriors. Fast and wide for interiors. A great party lens, street lens on my GX80. It was my rickshaw lens in China.

I thought about this one time like being adventurous and all but then just decided to settle on Oly 12-40 pro in the end. That lens is so good its like carrying 28 different primes rolled into one.

CD77

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Chris
Looks like the PL 25 1.4 is a favorite around here.
The 25mm focal length is looking like the favourite, not surprising given that the nifty fifty has always been a very versatile FL.

However there are three flavours mentioned depending on what people have available... f1.7 (which I have), f/1.8, and f/1.4... all three have had multiple mentions which IMHO puts them on a fairly equal footing in this particular poll.

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
A GP lens, so a normal (20-25) or moderate wide (15-17).
I only have the 17, so that would be it.

If you expand to two primes, you can do the classic 35mm PJ kit of 35 + 85/105 = m4/3 17 + 45
Having said this, I personally would NOT travel with a single prime.
Because I'm a zoomie from way back in the film days.​
If a single lens, it would be the Panasonic-Lumix 12-60.
The 12-40/2.8 might be sharper, but it is bigger and heavier, which is a 'con' for my light travel kit.​
My 2nd lens would be the 17/1.8 for low light.
But in my last trip, it was used less than 6 times, in the 2 week trip.​

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom