the ideal 3 lens kit (ONLY 3) for a bit of everything

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
Bif is pretty specific. To say you never shoot narrower than 45 is massively general.
My Fuji kit it built around 4 lenses. The 18mm f/2, the 27mm f/2.8, the 15-45 kit zoom (used at 15 or 45 to bookend the primes), and the 18-55 zoom (for convenience at parties usually with a flash).

So my Fuji kit does start wider, but even counting the lens that stays home most of the time, isn't as long as @Zairski's kit.

ooheadsoo

Mu-43 Veteran
Bif is pretty specific. To say you never shoot narrower than 45 is massively general.
I'm not sure you're being fair to the guy. There were plenty of other suggestions that stopped at the 56mm f/1.4 sigma. It's really not that far from 45mm. Many people who switched to the 56mm from the 45mm have stated they don't feel a significant difference in the working distances.

mumu

Mu-43 Veteran
My photography is mostly travel-related so if I were limited to 3 lenses it'd be:
Panasonic 12-35/2.8
Panasonic 35-100/2.8
Panasonic 15/1.7

Those plus my G85 would easily fit into a compact waist pack.

Real Name
Rob Faucher
That's a tough one, however, I like your own kit suggestion. For me it comes down to whether wherever I'm going offers ample wildlife or not. Without reservation, two lenses I'd take anywhere are the Oly 12-40 f2.8 and the Oly 7-14mm f2.8. The third lens would be a toss up between the Oly 17mm f1.2 or the Pany-Leica 100-400.

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
I've settled on this for my travel/general kit.
EM1.2
O 12-100 f4 Pro (gets close enough to leave macro lens behind)
O 9-18 f4-5.6 (I would go for a PL 8-18 if I had the freedom to purchase)
PL 15 f1.7

Last edited:
Real Name
Paul Franklin Stregevsky
I fail to see how 3 primes wider than 50mm makes for a reasonable kit.
Some of us prefer that all three lenses be usable indoors.
Toward that end, here are the three lenses that currently live with my Olympus E-P5 in my 5-by-5-inch belt pouch:
- 9mm f/8 Olympus body-cap lens
- 17mm f/2.8 Olympus pancake lens (attached)
- 30mm f/2.8 Sigma ART

Last edited:

number17

Mu-43 Regular
Hold on a sec... Why does it have to be 3 lenses? :)

I can fit all of the followings in my pd 5L sling and that's what I usually carry :

EM-10.2 with O 14-40 f2.8
PL 25mm f1.4
O 45mm f1. 8
PL 25mm f2.5 for travel, or sigma 60mm for events

And I'm very happy with that setup... I got a lens for wide, portrait, indoor, outdoor and a zoom lens if I need to be flexible

Real Name
Ray
Hi all,
My first post here having converted to M43 from Nikon FF at the end of last year.
The catalyst for that decision was a month in Egypt in January this year and my previous aversion to carrying FF gear on long trips.
In fact I had a crop Nikon and travel zoom for travel. However, it always seemed ludicrous to leave my best gear at home for a bucket list trip.

I wanted to travel without (relative) weight or compromise. To me compromise is always about the lens quality, not the camera or sensor within reason.

To complicate things I’m a wide guy and not a long guy.

In the end I went with 3 used items.

E-M1 Mark 1, 12-40 2.8 and Panasonic 7-14 f4

I’m delighted with the results.

As I’m such a wide fan I’m going to swap the 7-14 f4 for the Oly 2.8 and accept the weight penalty.

I don’t have a long lens (and rarely shoot long) but I’m on the fence about swapping out the 12-40 for the 12-100. The size and balance of the latter holds me back. I’d like it to cover my rare long needs whereas a separate long lens doesnt justify its place in my bag.

As for primes I’m now in the process of acquiring the 17mm and 45mm 1.2 pro primes used. They are overpriced new in the UK IMO. Equally, for me a prime needs to excel in IQ over the equivalent zoom, which to me means sticking with the PRO range throughout.

I’m going to cheat and suggest I’ll end up with a 4 lens do anything mix and match kit:

7-14mm 2.8 Pro
12-100mm 4.0 Pro
17mm 1.2 Pro
45mm 1.2 Pro

I may add a 20mm 1.7 pancake to accompany the zooms for when the pro primes stay at home. I may also add the 60mm macro. The 8mm FE Pro also appeals .....

Wibbly23

Mu-43 Regular
Hi all,
My first post here having converted to M43 from Nikon FF at the end of last year.
The catalyst for that decision was a month in Egypt in January this year and my previous aversion to carrying FF gear on long trips.
In fact I had a crop Nikon and travel zoom for travel. However, it always seemed ludicrous to leave my best gear at home for a bucket list trip.

I wanted to travel without (relative) weight or compromise. To me compromise is always about the lens quality, not the camera or sensor within reason.

To complicate things I’m a wide guy and not a long guy.

In the end I went with 3 used items.

E-M1 Mark 1, 12-40 2.8 and Panasonic 7-14 f4

I’m delighted with the results.

As I’m such a wide fan I’m going to swap the 7-14 f4 for the Oly 2.8 and accept the weight penalty.

I don’t have a long lens (and rarely shoot long) but I’m on the fence about swapping out the 12-40 for the 12-100. The size and balance of the latter holds me back. I’d like it to cover my rare long needs whereas a separate long lens doesnt justify its place in my bag.

As for primes I’m now in the process of acquiring the 17mm and 45mm 1.2 pro primes used. They are overpriced new in the UK IMO. Equally, for me a prime needs to excel in IQ over the equivalent zoom, which to me means sticking with the PRO range throughout.

I’m going to cheat and suggest I’ll end up with a 4 lens do anything mix and match kit:

7-14mm 2.8 Pro
12-100mm 4.0 Pro
17mm 1.2 Pro
45mm 1.2 Pro

I may add a 20mm 1.7 pancake to accompany the zooms for when the pro primes stay at home. I may also add the 60mm macro. The 8mm FE Pro also appeals .....

have a look at my new zealand pics thread. i was there with the 7-14 pro, the 12-100 pro, and the 45 pro. if i add any other glass it will be the 17 pro, so it looks like we think the same.

i would absolutely recommend the 12-100 over the 12-40, i just sold my 12-40 because the 12-100 is so capable.

firokeda

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Wojtek B.
My only ones are:
Panasonic Leica 15mm f/1.7
Panasonic Leica 25mm f/1.4
Olympus 45mm f/1.8

I do not consider changes at this moment.

Real Name
Ray
I’ll go take a look!

Yes I think we think the same. I like using primes the most and I think for street and creative work the 17mm plus 45mm 1.2 duo would be the ultimate 2 lens kit. However I don’t like primes for places I “might visit once” and landscape oriented trips.

For travel and landscape the 7-14mm is an essential range for me and I’m now really tempted by that 12-100mm to replace the 12-40mm.
That’s where the 20mm pancake would fit into the mix, to travel with the zooms for low light and discreetness where needed.

EdricBF

Mu-43 Rookie
For me it is the 12-40/2.8 permanently stuck on my E-M10 mk3, a 40-150R in the pocket and, on rare occasions, a 75-300 II and a FL300R flash in a small bag... Attends my amateur needs...

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Attends my amateur needs...
Want. & need, are very different things. Personally, I like to try out different things, rather than just read about them. Have I needed all the different lenses & camera's I've tried out over the years? Hell no. But damn I've had a lot of fun playing with them, & very glad that I've done so when the opportunities arose. And learned a lot in doing so.
And looking back, I wouldn't change a thing. If you can afford it, why not? :)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom