Site changes due to GDPR - a work in progress

LilSebastian

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
John
Thanks for all you do. Much belated, but this reminded me to finally subscribe and pay for the great service that is mu-43.com

I certainly have gained in knowledge and savings more than my contribution. Keep up the great work.

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
Thanks for all you do. Much belated, but this reminded me to finally subscribe and pay for the great service that is mu-43.com

I certainly have gained in knowledge and savings more than my contribution. Keep up the great work.
It is a truly wonderful community and a great source of information.

However, given my GAS affliction, I’m afraid I can’t say that it’s saved me money! :boohoo:

Last edited:

Amin Sabet

Administrator
Site should now be exclusively showing non-personalized ads in Europe now.

There should be a cookie prompt now to give a chance to opt in to personalized ads. The default should be no personalized ads.

Last edited:

Cederic

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Working in a regulated industry subject to far more than just GDPR, but also requiring a working understanding of the regulations, I think you're going beyond the minimum required by the legislation.

That isn't necessarily a bad thing. Protecting consumer data is worthy, but do assure that trying to achieve compliance doesn't become oppressively onerous where you're exceeding the required protections.

For something like push notifications, it feels they're a reasonable and requested use of personal data, and would be permitted by the legislation. Even targeted ads aren't necessarily a problem, although I'll agree it's much easier to just disable them.

Fundamentally you're not publishing peoples' private details, you're not selling them to other companies, you're holding them for legitimate purposes essential to providing the service they've requested from you. The absolute worse case scenario for you is likely to be a regulator seeking clarification on a specific aspect of your operations and possibly suggesting where a tweak may help compliance.

But I can't speak for the regulators :)

Amin Sabet

Administrator
For something like push notifications, it feels they're a reasonable and requested use of personal data, and would be permitted by the legislation.
The other thing about keeping these other data processors is that if they have a breach, I have to report it right away to the proper authorities in the EU. The less other companies handle our data, the less opportunity their is for a breach and all the headaches associated with a breach.

ionian

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Simon
Good job Amin - what a headache this legislation has been for everyone. Like you I believe in the aims behind it but as I have been heavily involved in the implementation at my day job I'm glad I don't have to come home and do it in the evening as well! Thanks goodness I didn't set up that mailing list on my own site...

nstelemark

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Larry
For something like push notifications, it feels they're a reasonable and requested use of personal data, and would be permitted by the legislation.
I agree with this assessment. Especially in the case of pushover where it is a paid service that someone has to use, ie this is a direct choice with a clear opt-in, rather than a general uncontrolled data flow.

Last edited:

Amin Sabet

Administrator
The fallout and implementation are another thing!
The fallout is going to be pretty difficult for a lot of people. I know some forum owners whose implementation of the GDPR is to make the site unavailable in Europe. It's not an easy set of regulations for small sites to meet.

umii

Mu-43 Regular
Site should now be exclusively showing non-personalized ads in Europe now.
You might want to check settings, I’m getting pretty inappropriate adverts in eu. Usual gutter penis stuff, dating etc. I can probably strip them out but it’s not making me want to use the site.

Amin Sabet

Administrator
You might want to check settings, I’m getting pretty inappropriate adverts in eu. Usual gutter penis stuff, dating etc. I can probably strip them out but it’s not making me want to use the site.
Yikes, that's not good. You can turn off all ads in preferences: https://www.mu-43.com/account/preferences

Subsequent to writing that the site should be showing non-personalized ads, I changed over to the use of something called Cookiebot, which is a service to prevent all personalized ad-related cookies unless you opt-in. Did you get a prompt about cookies, and did you opt in to personalized ads before seeing those ads?

If Cookiebot isn't working, then I will turn off all ads for everyone in the EU.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom