Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Olympus 25mm f1.8

Votes: 16 59.3%
  • Panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4

Votes: 6 22.2%

• Total voters

Seleslav

New to Mu-43
Hi, I am in a bit of a pickle and I need your assistance.
My kit is Olympus M10 II some lenses: PanaLeica 15mm f1.7, Olympus 45mm f1.8 (and kit lens Panasonic 12-32mm and Olympus 40-150mm). I used to have Panasonic 25mm f1.7, but got rid of it, because it was bad copy, that had some problems. And I found myself missing this focal length!

And so I bought all the lenses in the title, so I can test them out. I need to keep only one and I can't decide what to choose.

Did any of you have experience with these lenses?

Sigma 30mm
+ brightness (f1.4)
+ sharpness o _ O
- big and heavy
- bit tighter
- terrible CA wide open

PanaLeica 25mm
+ nice colours
+ bright (f1.4)
+ leica ?
- loud - on my Olympus I hear loud clicks and sometimes some rattling sounds
- lens hood sucks
- CA wide open (but I feel not as much as sigma)

Olympus 25mm
+ tiny
+ fast focus
+ not much CA
- slower f stop (f1.8)
- uglier :-D

Also I am thinking about replacing my 45mm Olympus with 56mm Sigma - feel its better for portraits and it would also make 30mm Sigma better choice with the focal length? Sorry I am just rambling at this point. I don't know I would love to keep them all but my wife would kill me :-D.

Last edited:

Thai-Mike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Michael
I had the Sigma 30mm 1.4, which is a great lens, but the Oly 25mm 1.8 is for me the much better lens in terms of indoors and street.

30mm was to narrow for me as well as the 17mm 1.8 was to wide. But thi sis only my style of shooting. Others maybe like other lenses better.

Enoch

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Enoch Haven
Got the Sigma 56mm, and don't really miss the 45. I have the 25 pro, but kept the 25 1.8 because it is small, portable, and produces great images. Doesn't the Panasonic 1.4 have some CA issues too, especially on Olympus bodies?

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
I had the PL25 for a number of years before swapping to the smaller Olympus. The noisy, slow aperture and and rather large size compared to the PL15 bothered me since I generally took both lenses. IQ is a wash and I didn't end up missing the tiny difference in aperture. And yes, the PL25 also had a lot of CA, mostly around specular highlights.

I also had the 45mm for a number of years before swapping to the 56mm. There I always found the 45mm sharpness a little lacking wide open and the focal length too short quite often. Yes the Sigma is bigger, about the same size as the PL25 but fatter. The Sigma is much sharper wide open and the aperture/focal length means you can blur the background a lot more for full portraits - and the back bokeh is beautiful. You'll have to stop down for tighter portraits though - DoF becomes too thin.

JamesD172

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
James Dolezal
I've owned both the O25 and PL25 and ended up keeping the PL.

Oly:
I prefer its look and size. Sharpness is excellent. It has some longitudinal aberrations but is otherwise optically very nice. Some copies are better than others (I went through two lemons that both had a soft side).

PL:
Sharpness at 1.4 is "meh" outside the center but flawless at 1.8. In Iow light I often stop down to 1.8, which kind of negates its fstop advantage. It's a bit bulkier. With those caveats, I kept this lens because it very frequently produces special images; many of my breathtaking photos came from the PL. Obviously the O25 is capable of great photos as well, as you can see in our showcase, but in my experience the PL adds something "extra" I can't put my finger on. I think the lens has more both macro and micro contrast. I've sold off many lenses and the PL25 is one of only three I'll be keeping (O12-40, PL42.5, and PL25).

This Sigma, while large and heavier than the Oly and Panasonic 1.7, I don't find if heavy at all. Actually, I feel it is rather lightweight. It is barely heavier than the PL 25.

If you plan on getting the Sigma 56, I think it makes sense to get the Sigma 30. They will render similar and have the same light gathering wide open. Personally I like the idea of a 15, 30, 56 trinity. I can get along with my similar 14, 30, 60 in most circumstances.

dwkdnvr

Mu-43 Regular
I ended up with the PL15, S30 and S56 as my prime lineup, so I guess that would be my vote. I had and really liked the PL25, but sold it to fund the 12-40 a while back (which then was moved to get the 12-100). When I looked to re-acquire a prime in that range, the S30 is where I ended up - it seemed to preserve some of the feel of the rendering of the PL25 but offered a bit more sharpness and (maybe) better bokeh quality.

I've only used the S56 a bit, but so far I'm not feeling any regrets about the 15/30/56 lineup.

Real Name
Matt
I own two of the three lenses mentioned - and there's a reason I have both:

The Sigma 30mm f/1.4 is a superb portrait lens, but also a capable long-ish normal; it's my preferred low-light lens for :mu43:; to that end, I put up with its size - and to be fair, it's not huge, just bigger than your average fast prime for the system. I like this lens so much that I also own it for APS-C (Sony E). It's also part of my prime set for light photo travel: 7.5mm (Laowa), 15mm (Panasonic), 30mm (Sigma C), 60mm (Sigma A). Simple, yet superbly versatile, and great performance.

The Olympus 25mm f/1.8 is a very sharp as well as pleasantly compact and light lens. It makes for a wonderful one-lens solution - if I need to go super-compact for events, I even prefer it over the 15mm f/1.7 (my usual mainstay) because it's as good close-up as it is at mid distances. It's not quite as rewarding as the Sigma for people shots, but its size and faster focusing make up for that. Oh - and it's the prime I pair my 14-150mm II with for an even more compact general travel setup ...

M.

cdmicha

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Chris
The Oly 25 pairs quite nicely with the E-M10.2, both in size and in looks. It's a great lens, and that exact combo is our "goto" for everyday photos in our life. I've got the Sigma 30, and I've enjoyed it a lot paired with my G9, but for my taste, it's a little too large for the smaller bodies. Honestly, you can't go wrong with either, but if I had to pick just one to pair with the E-M10.2, it would be the Oly 25.

Real Name
Mike Peters
The Sigma is better in every respect over the PL 25, faster af, quicker aperture close when shooting to mitigate shutter lag, and sharper wide up with less problematic CA. I also have the P25 1.7, a nice lens as a one lens solution, but not nearly as nice as the 30. I also much prefer the 30 for photographing people.

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
The Oly 25mm is a small, well made, lovely rendering lens that I'd recommend to anyone, especially if you can get it at below the cost Olympus typically charges for it (not hard to do if you look at eBay or similar). I used the Sigma 30mm f2.8 version for a while, and that small amount of added telephoto turned it into a much less useful lens - the 1.4 version turns out some awesome portraits, but it's a more specialized lens at that point. I've never used the 25mm f1.4, but there is a significant size difference for a small amount of extra light.

tkbslc

Super Moderator
25mm f1.4 has that bit of magic rendering that makes me want to keep it around. But it is very dated mechanically and in terms of design.

25mm f1.8 really has no flaws. Sharp, small, cheap (used), modern.

30mm is outstanding as a sort of long normal and portrait lens combo. If you wanted a lens to replace both a 25 and 45mm, then it would make sense. It's a superb lens if it's the right FL.

dunsun

Mu-43 Rookie
I have owned all of them + Oly 25mm 1.2.
Oly 25mm 1.2 is a very nice lens but too large and too heavy (sold).
Sigma 30mm 1.4 nice rendering but too large and it does not focus properly on any Olympus camera (sold).
Oly 25mm 1.8 this is a great small lens. If I had no Panasonic camera that would my lens to use (sold).
Pana 25mm 1.4 great lens with some faults. But optically it produces somewhat special images. It has that special something like other Leica lenses.
I have had 2 samples of this lens. Both were not focusing properly with any Olympus camera though finally I own a good small Panasonic camera GX9. Previously I had G9 that worked properly with it as well (but it was too large for my taste).

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Question for the PL25 and Sigma 30 owners. Wide open at f/1.4 which is sharper? At what point (aperture) do they become comparable?

Edit -I should add, I have the PL 25 and Siggy 56, sometimes I think I wouldn't mind something just in between, or a little bit tighter FOV than the 25. Very impressed with the 56

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
I've had all three. The Sigma 30/1.4 is the one I've stuck with. It focuses perfectly on my Oly cameras (but make sure you have latest firmware - early versions had AF issues).

Why? - it gives the best OOF rendering, both in terms of quantity and quality. These sort of lenses are really at their best as short portrait lenses and good OOF is an important characteristic. The 25/1.2 is better again, but at a price and size penalty.

If you're planning on shooting them anything but wide open, then just get the 12-40!

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
Had the O25, have the PL25.

The Oly is a great lens; small, light, and sharp. So why do I have PL25? I prefer the rendering and on my E-M1 mkII I prefer the size and weight. If I had a smaller camera I probably would have stayed with the O25.

Never looked at the Sigma, it just seems too big and the Sigma hood makes it even worse to me. I kind of like the PL hood personally. As for the P25 (f/1.7), for some reason I've never liked it, not something I can really put me finger on, but I don't.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom