Opinions Please! A Dedicated Category for 4/3 Lenses.

Should there be a dedicated forum category for 4/3 lenses?

• Total voters

kenez

Mu-43 Regular
One question: ppeople keep mentioning that 4/3 lenses retain 'much' of their functionality on a m4/3 body implying that they lose some functionality... Is it not true that with an adapter they transfer over with full function? Just with pdaf designed motors on cdaf cameras (or not even on the m1.1 and .2)?

What function do they lose?
They really don't lose any functionality unless you consider slow focus on cdaf only cameras to be a loss in functionality. When I used to use my 4/3 lenses on my EM-5 body some worked pretty well in terms of AF and some were awful. I considered those lenses to have lost some functionality for me.

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
One question: ppeople keep mentioning that 4/3 lenses retain 'much' of their functionality on a m4/3 body implying that they lose some functionality... Is it not true that with an adapter they transfer over with full function? Just with pdaf designed motors on cdaf cameras (or not even on the m1.1 and .2)?

What function do they lose?
They really don't lose any functionality unless you consider slow focus on cdaf only cameras to be a loss in functionality. When I used to use my 4/3 lenses on my EM-5 body some worked pretty well in terms of AF and some were awful. I considered those lenses to have lost some functionality for me.
Just off the top of my head

- Focus bracketing
- Focus stacking
- Pro capture

dhazeghi

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dara
I voted against.

4/3 lenses are adapted. They are not generally-speaking more (or less) functional at this stage than adapted EF lenses on m4/3 cameras. Perhaps in the future the same will also be true of Nikon lenses on m4/3.

I suppose if we want to have 'Adapted Lenses (electronic control)' and 'Adapted Lenses' forums (all manual control), that'd work out okay, but I think the number of users for that first forum would not be large.

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
I can understand AF performance, which is probably why the no bracketing. However the other two don't work on a majority of the native lenses so hardly seem to count ;)
Actually..................

- Focus Bracketing is available on most new Olympus models (not sure which and to lazy to look up which have it and which don't and honestly don't care because the only camera I would ever buy is an EM1) and will work with any m4/3 lens from any manufacture.
- Focus Stacking is only available on the EM1mk1/2 and does only work with select lenses (basically the 60mm macro and the new Pro lenses that have a close focusing ability).
- Pro Capture only works with Olympus m4/3 lenses.

Seeing how the first and last are usable with any m4/3 lens made by Olympus and the first is usable by any m4/3 lens, I hardly see where this can be considered working on only a few native lenses. The 2nd one is limited in not only the camera but also the lenses, so could probably not count that one. Then there is the fps the lenses are able to shoot at, which is another function they lose (which I forgot to include and is probably the biggest functionality they lose). The 4/3 lenses cannot shoot at full fps when stopped down or when in CAF, limited to about 7fps in either case.

While I almost exclusively use 4/3 lenses, you can't discount the functionality they lose compared to native lenses................especially when it comes to action photography. Not to mention that all but a few of them (no idea which are CDAF optimized) really only function on the EM1.

I don't feel they should be listed with the adapted lenses but not sure they should be listed with the native lenses either. But there is a large number of people who use them and talk of their use crops up a lot on these forums. So a separate section for them does seem like a good idea.........

Amin Sabet

Administrator
I'd like to ask
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
@Amin Sabet if the Forum software provides an option of adding a brief description to a forum header, in a smaller font underneath the title?
It does, but I don't like how it looks with a description under some forum headers and not others.

wimg

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I voted against.

4/3 lenses are adapted. They are not generally-speaking more (or less) functional at this stage than adapted EF lenses on m4/3 cameras. Perhaps in the future the same will also be true of Nikon lenses on m4/3.

I suppose if we want to have 'Adapted Lenses (electronic control)' and 'Adapted Lenses' forums (all manual control), that'd work out okay, but I think the number of users for that first forum would not be large.
Agreed, and "Adapted lenses (electronic control)" seems much more usable to me :).

I happen to own all 3 Metabones adapters, and I use them with my Canon L glass when I need a special lens, not available yet in the OEM ranges. Great to have AF, IS, etc. I have given up on non-electronic control lenses, with which I parted for good at the end of last year (Olympus, Pentax, Zeiss, Leitz, all in all over 20). I just think they are not up to scratch when it comes to OEM lenses for modern digital cameras, also because they were designed for film rather than for digital. And having shot with these for 30+ years, I know they are not up to scratch, compared to modern lenses anyway. Ok for film, but not up to the task for digital, unless you want to achieve a certain effect, and that is not something I personally have the patience or interest for.

However, modern adaptable lenses, with electronic control, and designed or made for digital, that'll do just fine for me, except for the weight, but then, I will only use them if I do not have an MFT equivalent and need something of that particular FL or for specific functionality.

Just my 2c, of course.

Kind regards, Wim

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
I voted against.

I don't like 'Adapted Lenses (electronic control)' because those are the exact same lenses that will be very commonly used with 'all manual control' by another group of people, depending on how expensive the adapter they decided to buy was. It's a recipe for confusion, because now you have one product that can and will very justifiably end up being in two different places in the forum.

Which I actually think is the problem with Four Thirds lenses right now. A number of people could mistake them for being "native" depending on how native is interpreted.

lchien

Mu-43 Veteran
Yes, they should have their own category. Obviously when the thread were started they had few posts but now its time to split them.
CLearly its a good place to split the adapted thread. Suggest calling new Category "Four Thirds Lens on M43".

wimg

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I don't like 'Adapted Lenses (electronic control)' because those are the exact same lenses that will be very commonly used with 'all manual control' by another group of people, depending on how expensive the adapter they decided to buy was. It's a recipe for confusion, because now you have one product that can and will very justifiably end up being in two different places in the forum.

Which I actually think is the problem with Four Thirds lenses right now. A number of people could mistake them for being "native" depending on how native is interpreted.
The question then rises, seeing this is really only a relatively small group of lenses, which are also getting used less and less, whether they should get their own category or forum.

The question is whether this is really useful to all visitors to the forum, not just for the happy few who use these lenses, and whether it has posts/topics/threads in significant enough numbers to create a special forum for them?

In how far is it not just a movement like: hey, I have one, I would like to see a forum for this?
BTW, as a forum admin myself in another large hobby forum, this is a question I see raised very often.

Kind regards, Wim

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
The question then rises, seeing this is really only a relatively small group of lenses, which are also getting used less and less, whether they should get their own category or forum.

The question is whether this is really useful to all visitors to the forum, not just for the happy few who use these lenses, and whether it has posts/topics/threads in significant enough numbers to create a special forum for them?

In how far is it not just a movement like: hey, I have one, I would like to see a forum for this?
BTW, as a forum admin myself in another large hobby forum, this is a question I see raised very often.

Kind regards, Wim
It's a very good question.

I think it would have a lot to do with the real volumes of questions and threads involving 4/3 lenses. I would hazard a guess that there are considerably more users of Four Thirds lenses on this forum than of any other specific type of Adapted Lens. I don't even think the numbers would come close. I might be wrong, depending on how many DSLRs switchers kept their lenses for re-use.

But whenever questions of fast zooms and budgets come up, inevitably the 14-54, 12-60, and 50-200 end up in the conversation. That is pretty much never the case with any other adapted lens. If they are indeed a very small special interest, they certainly seem to have an outsize influence.

My other thought is that a lot of users probably don't even know about Four Thirds lenses at all. They are far more suitable for adaptation than almost any other kind of lens, given that they are designed with focal lengths appropriate to the format and retain AF and aperture function, as well as weather-sealing. You can't say that about any other adapted lens.

Gerard

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Kind regards, Wim
I dont have one, I dont want one, I dont need one.
I get confused with all these types. Some zuiko named are 43, some m43. Digital is 43.... it drives me nuts.
So when i see an article on a particular lense (review, photos, malfunction, whatever) and it makes me think that I like it, then I dont know if it is in my reach.
Because I dont want a EM1 i, ii or iii, nor do I want a MMF 1, 2 or 3.

alex g

Mu-43 All-Pro
Yes. Many of the forums have that. I don't know how many people read them, however.
Haha - well clearly I don't! :D

Wait - how long have there been the cursor hover description popups? Have they always been there? (Mr Observant here)

Edit: I just noticed the subtitle descriptions you were refering to — I have to admit that I'd never consciously noticed those. Perhaps they're a bit inconspicuous compared to the big blue title bar underneath them. Or maybe I'm just unobservant. :D

Amin Sabet

Administrator
I was just scanning the Showcase threads, and it struck me that the 4/3 lens threads there are not very long or active. Lots of other adapted lens threads are just as active.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom