Opinions Please! A Dedicated Category for 4/3 Lenses.

Should there be a dedicated forum category for 4/3 lenses?

• Total voters

wimg

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Good to hear everyone's thoughts on the subject — a very interesting range of personal perspectives, thanks! Keep 'em coming and let's try to stay on topic! (Digressers — you know who you are! :p)

As of right now, the poll stands at 30 in favour to 6 against. So far, none of the opponents of the scheme have elaborated on their vote, so it's hard to know whether they're actively opposed to it or simply not particularly bothered either way. Please speak up if you hate the idea and give us your input! :thumbsup:
I voted no, for practical reasons.

Essentially, 4/3 lenses ARE adapted lenses, and adding another forum for these means more stuff to scroll through. Also, I expect such a forum to be fairly small, and become even smaller with time - after all, these lenses have been out of production for quite some time. I also know that it takes a lot of time to set up, and move all relevant topics/threads to such a forum.

I thought about having separate subforums, in the adapted lenses forum, for the major brands of adapted lenses, but even that is a bit of a losing battle, considering that there would be lots of small subforums, with reltively few topics/threads, and again requiring a lot of work for the mods to move stuff around.

Just my 2c.

Kind regards, Wim

Amin Sabet

Administrator
I also know that it takes a lot of time to set up, and move all relevant topics/threads to such a forum.
It wouldn't be too hard to do.

Essentially, 4/3 lenses ARE adapted lenses
That's my issue with it. Most people who use our system are not going to use 4/3 lenses. Those who will use them know where to find them and post about them. Some of those who won't use them will be confused by the section. The average new user will think a 4/3 lens is a native lens that they can use without an adapter.

Giiba

Something to someone somewhere

That's my issue with it. Most people who use our system are not going to use 4/3 lenses. Those who will use them know where to find them and post about them. Some of those who won't use them will be confused by the section. The average new user will think a 4/3 lens is a native lens that they can use without an adapter.
I would propose that under the "Lenses and Accessories" heading you make 3 sub categories:
- Native Lenses
- 4/3 System Lenses
- Adapted Lenses

The lengthiest project would then be moving the appropriate threads out of the current "Adapted Lenses" section.

Just my 2¢ :biggrin:

astrostl

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Justin Honold
I would propose that under the "Lenses and Accessories" heading you make 3 sub categories:
- Native Lenses
- 4/3 System Lenses
- Adapted Lenses
Agreed, with a slight modification: rename "Native Lenses" to "Micro 4/3 System Lenses", so that the explicit side-by-side distinction helps educate and avoid confusion.

Could even throw "legacy" and "modern" in there, respectively.

kenez

Mu-43 Regular
That's odd. 1.4X TCs lose 1 stop of light. 1 stop more than 2.8 is 4, and 1 stop more than 3.5 is 5.
I re-checked and I don't think I had the zoom at the maximum focal length before. It maintains F4.5 through 143mm then starts dropping off to a maximum of F4.9 at 283mm. So I stand corrected.

Last edited:

Gerard

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

FWIW I am confused by the present situation. Take the 70-300. It has a variant in both 'mounts'.
So i see an post of the F4.8 - 6.3 and Then I have to look up if it is the one or the other variant.
Mijn twee eurocenten.

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
I think this would be a useful move. I have two 4/3rds lenses and doing this would make it easier to find their postings. One of those I have is a Sigma 105 f2.8 EX DG macro in 4/3rds mount, and there are others posted in that showcase that are adapted from other mounts. In other words, would you separate the 4/3rds ones from the other mounts? That could get complicated.

alex g

Mu-43 All-Pro
I think this would be a useful move. I have two 4/3rds lenses and doing this would make it easier to find their postings. One of those I have is a Sigma 105 f2.8 EX DG macro in 4/3rds mount, and there are others posted in that showcase that are adapted from other mounts. In other words, would you separate the 4/3rds ones from the other mounts? That could get complicated.
Hrm, good question. Lenses which are available in multiple, mount-specific versions do complicate matters somewhat. The appropriate category would naturally depend on an agreed set of criteria. To me, the logical criteria for a "4/3 lenses"* category would be:
  • The lens must have a 4/3 mount
  • Once adapted, the AF system, if present, must be compatible with u43 bodies.
I'm not personally familiar with non-Olympus 4/3 lenses, and I admit I don't know how many different models are out there. Would be good to hear from anyone who does know!

*Category name to be determined!

alex g

Mu-43 All-Pro
How about:
  1. Native lenses
  2. Adapted Four Thirds system lenses
  3. Adapted lenses (other systems)
I think those are the best names so far - definitely better than any I've come up with myself. :thumbsup:

Those who will use them know where to find them and post about them. Some of those who won't use them will be confused by the section. The average new user will think a 4/3 lens is a native lens that they can use without an adapter.
Agreed, with a slight modification: rename "Native Lenses" to "Micro 4/3 System Lenses", so that the explicit side-by-side distinction helps educate and avoid confusion.
I agree with the concern that, done wrong, a category shake-up might be a source of confusion. I reckon that it ought to be possible to avoid it with a good choice of titles, but I'd like to ask @Amin Sabet if the Forum software provides an option of adding a brief description to a forum header, in a smaller font underneath the title?

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
I think an extra section (named as @wjiang suggested) is a good idea, if only because 4/3 lenses retain much of the functionality of native lenses, quite a few people still use them, and it's just a much easier way to find information about them if they're in one place, since the topics come up on a regular basis.

If I had an E-M1, I would consider 4/3 lenses to be entirely native. Just on the big, bulky side of native...

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
Hrm, good question. Lenses which are available in multiple, mount-specific versions do complicate matters somewhat. The appropriate category would naturally depend on an agreed set of criteria. To me, the logical criteria for a "4/3 lenses"* category would be:
  • The lens must have a 4/3 mount
  • Once adapted, the AF system, if present, must be compatible with u43 bodies.
I'm not personally familiar with non-Olympus 4/3 lenses, and I admit I don't know how many different models are out there. Would be good to hear from anyone who does know!

*Category name to be determined!
You can see all the 4/3rds lenses here. Sigma had quite a few, including the very good 105 f2.8 macro and the 150 f2.8 macro, but all discontinued. Some of Olympus 4/3rds lenses are still available new, but I doubt they're still in production.
Four Thirds | Four Thirds | Four Thirds | Chart(Lenses)

kenez

Mu-43 Regular
I think an extra section (named as @wjiang suggested) is a good idea, if only because 4/3 lenses retain much of the functionality of native lenses, quite a few people still use them, and it's just a much easier way to find information about them if they're in one place, since the topics come up on a regular basis.

If I had an E-M1, I would consider 4/3 lenses to be entirely native. Just on the big, bulky side of native...
Yes, that's a huge difference between legacy four thirds lenses and other adapted lenses. The 4/3 lenses retain near full functionality in terms of auto focus and other communications with the camera body, etc. I think I read somewhere recently that Olympus is still making a few 4/3 lenses in a factory in Russia. There may be some production in other locations as well but it is dwindling.

Giiba

Something to someone somewhere
One question: ppeople keep mentioning that 4/3 lenses retain 'much' of their functionality on a m4/3 body implying that they lose some functionality... Is it not true that with an adapter they transfer over with full function? Just with pdaf designed motors on cdaf cameras (or not even on the m1.1 and .2)?

What function do they lose?

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom