Opinions Please! A Dedicated Category for 4/3 Lenses.

Should there be a dedicated forum category for 4/3 lenses?

• Total voters

alex g

Mu-43 All-Pro
Currently on the forum, discussions about lenses and related image showcase threads are divided into two categories: Native and Adapted. The latter includes everything from 4/3 glass to the most obscure and convoluted exotica, and at present has no less than fifteen pages of threads — u43 users are evidently of an insatiably curious and questing nature. The downside of such a rich diversity is that threads devoted to the most widely-used sub-category of adapted lenses — the Olympus 4/3 range — are buried deep in relatively inaccessible corners of the forum.

My contention is that while the Olympus 4/3 lenses are adapted in a literal sense, they are in other respects more "native" than "adapted": the majority are still supported and even retailed by the manufacturer, and are fully compatible with the latest Olympus body. At the same time, they're not strictly native either, in fact they appear to demand their own category!

Therefore, I suggest that two new sub-forums be created (Amin's software and sanity permitting): Four-Thirds Lenses and Four-Thirds Lens Sample Image Showcase, and that the relevant existing threads be relocated there. I believe that in addition to making those threads more accessible, the creation of a more visible indication of active interest in the 4/3 range might help to increase the likelihood of Olympus continuing their support in future.

Your thoughts please!

Gerard

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Sounds like a great idea.
I am not interested in these lenses, but all these names confuse me. I never know if a lense is a 43 or a m43. Not quite, i know the 50-200 is a 43, because it is mentioned in all posts. But for the rest, its puzzling.

TassieFig

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I don't have any of the 4/3 lenses and most likely never will but I think it's a great idea. I do check them out occasionally so they will def be easier to find. Fully agree!

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
I voted yes. There are a number of people using the 14-54 & 50-200 on m43 cameras, and people are using the 12-60 & 150/2 as well. We even have some users of the 300/2.8 (though I have yet to see anyone here who posts & regularly uses the 90-250 f/2.8, my dream lens).

SVQuant

Shooting by numbers
Real Name
Sameer
I voted yes as well. I currently own two myself - the O50-200SWD and the O30/3.5 macro. Never owned fast standard zooms in my life, but the 12-60 tempts me for its price/IQ ratio. The 35-100/2 is another optically fantastic lens which I like, though its bulk makes it unlikely that I will ever buy it. Definitely want to see the support from Olympus continue.

While we are shamelessly plugging, I would like to add that 2 of the currently featured threads on th forum home page contain images taken with 4/3 lenses.

AG_Alex2097

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Alex S.
Would be nice to have yes, finding user experiences of 43 glass is not easy, especially the more exotic glass, and having them buried in a whole bunch of other threads doesn't make it easier :p

also, free bump

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
the 12-60 tempts me for its price/IQ ratio
Do it, you won't regret it. I own a 12-60 SWD, and it pairs perfectly with the 50-200 SWD. It's a somewhat heavy combo, but is by no means unmanageable on the E-M1 thanks to the larger grip. Also, I found the optical performance to be identical to the Panasonic 12-35 f/2.8 wide open, with the benefit of having nearly 2x the reach.

If there are two downsides to the lens, I would say they are:
  • The aperture does narrow down rather quickly, much quicker than the 14-54. Having said that, I never used the 12-35 indoors anyways, so the marginally slower aperture across the shared focal range wasn't really a big deal since this is an outdoors lens for me.
  • The lens has the tendency to produce more flare than the current f/2.8 standard zooms. This can be problematic for shooting sunrise photos.
Other than that, I really have no qualms with the lens. I don't mind the size/weight at all, especially given the price and image quality I get from it. Also, you'll hear people mention the moustache distortion, but unless you plan on shooting brick walls while standing perpendicular to them, you won't notice it in practice.

SVQuant

Shooting by numbers
Real Name
Sameer
Do it, you won't regret it. I own a 12-60 SWD, and it pairs perfectly with the 50-200 SWD. It's a somewhat heavy combo, but is by no means unmanageable on the E-M1 thanks to the larger grip. Also, I found the optical performance to be identical to the Panasonic 12-35 f/2.8 wide open, with the benefit of having nearly 2x the reach.

If there are two downsides to the lens, I would say they are:
  • The aperture does narrow down rather quickly, much quicker than the 14-54. Having said that, I never used the 12-35 indoors anyways, so the marginally slower aperture across the shared focal range wasn't really a big deal since this is an outdoors lens for me.
  • The lens has the tendency to produce more flare than the current f/2.8 standard zooms. This can be problematic for shooting sunrise photos.
Other than that, I really have no qualms with the lens. I don't mind the size/weight at all, especially given the price and image quality I get from it. Also, you'll hear people mention the moustache distortion, but unless you plan on shooting brick walls while standing perpendicular to them, you won't notice it in practice.
Not to take the thread too far OT :), but I have typically shot primes in the standard zoom focal range and have never owned a fast standard zoom. I remain a little unsure about how much I would use it if I got it. Instead, the new 12-100 has a lot of attraction for me as I see it as a replacement for my 14-150. Having said that, I have a potential use case for the next few months where the 12-60 might be the perfect lens so I probably will pick up a copy sometime soon.

alex g

Mu-43 All-Pro
Good to hear everyone's thoughts on the subject — a very interesting range of personal perspectives, thanks! Keep 'em coming and let's try to stay on topic! (Digressers — you know who you are! :p)

As of right now, the poll stands at 30 in favour to 6 against. So far, none of the opponents of the scheme have elaborated on their vote, so it's hard to know whether they're actively opposed to it or simply not particularly bothered either way. Please speak up if you hate the idea and give us your input! :thumbsup:

BobBill

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Bob Hively-Johnson
I must have missed something...thought it/they existed.

kenez

Mu-43 Regular
I agree that the 4/3 lens need their own category (sub-forums). I have several of these lenses and when weight isn't an issue its hard to beat the SHG or HG glass. I also think that people often don't realize that the legacy zooms paired with a 4/3 teleconverter can be more affordable with comparable image quality to something like the current m4/3 40-150mm + 1.4X MC-14. If you buy that combo you might be out upwards of $1,650 U.S. for an effective F4.0 56-210mm lens. Alternatively you could buy a used 50-200mm with the EC-14 in excellent condition for around $700 and you would have an effective 70-280mm F4.0-4.5 lens.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom