Olympus MC-20 Teleconverter

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
I put in a preorder at Olympus for the new tele and I got a notice that it has already shipped.
Yes, getolympus.com site says 'In Stock', so I also put preorder yesterday. Mine also shows 'shipped'.
I'll be very interested in both of your assessments of the MC-20 on the 40-150 and the 300. I think it would be good for really close macro work with the 300 in particular.
I think the MC-20 is one of the reasons the low light focusing capability of the E-M1.2 was improved with the recent firmware download.

RR Jonny

Mu-43 Veteran
I put in a preorder at Olympus for the new tele and I got a notice that it has already shipped.
Yes, getolympus.com site says 'In Stock', so I also put preorder yesterday. Mine also shows 'shipped'.
Brave souls...pioneers; hats off to you! Please do give us an in-depth review with images! I am holding off to see how it functions. Stills at 1,200 mm f/8 will be interesting.

Last edited:

Retief

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Bill Dewey
I put my pre-order in at B&H, I have some credit I need to use. Knowing they are "in stock" at Olympus is encouraging, hopefully that means that places like B&H will get them soon as well.

Doug Robinson

New to Mu-43
Just went out a did a bit of shooting with the 300 F4 and newly arrived MC20. I must say it is very impressive. Not much difference between the 1.4 TC for quality with the 300 after checking the RAW files on the computer. In fact it has very fast focusing...used it with my EM1X with CAF + Tracking 3x3 with some baby ducklings swimming around a pond. Also got some flying Great Blue Heron shots to test the focus speed single point small (I know...big bird...pretty slow) but it worked without any problems. Very Sharp. Tack sharp for anything within short range (less than 10m). Very impressive for macro too...did some flower petals, flys on the ground, grass, cat tails, etc. Those that ordered it will be more than happy with its performance with the 300mm I have no doubt!! Tried some HHHR just at a few things like street signs, stationary flys on the ground, etc and that worked very well too. Detailed and sharp. Will go try shoot the moon tonight at 1200mm and see how it looks. Didnt try any macro focus stacking, etc. but will.

RR Jonny

Mu-43 Veteran
Just went out a did a bit of shooting with the 300 F4 and newly arrived MC20. I must say it is very impressive. Not much difference between the 1.4 TC for quality with the 300 after checking the RAW files on the computer. In fact it has very fast focusing...used it with my EM1X with CAF + Tracking 3x3 with some baby ducklings swimming around a pond. Also got some flying Great Blue Heron shots to test the focus speed single point small (I know...big bird...pretty slow) but it worked without any problems. Very Sharp. Tack sharp for anything within short range (less than 10m). Very impressive for macro too...did some flower petals, flys on the ground, grass, cat tails, etc. Those that ordered it will be more than happy with its performance with the 300mm I have no doubt!! Tried some HHHR just at a few things like street signs, stationary flys on the ground, etc and that worked very well too. Detailed and sharp. Will go try shoot the moon tonight at 1200mm and see how it looks. Didnt try any macro focus stacking, etc. but will.
Thank you very much for the early review! It appears to lose a bit after 10m is what I hear you saying. I am impressed with the MC-14, but I don't expect miracles. I succeeded in stacking butterflies with a 150 hand-held, but I failed at rendering hand-held, stackable images with the 300mm; I used focus bracketing. Good luck, and thanks again!

masayoshi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Masaaki
Just got this MC20, and the first test was red robin in my backyard.:dance4:
The bird was probably 20m away (60ft). The first image is uncropped. Did NR and exposure adjustment in LR.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Here's cropped around the bird.

Gidget

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Leah Hallett
Well it rained all day yesterday, but I got a chance to shoot a little. Bear in mind these are probably the worst conditions one could run into. The rain played havoc with the focus terribly. In fact I was having all kinds of problems focusing towards infinity. Had to use S-AF mostly. I kept reseating the TC and the Lens to make sure they were tight...they were. More testing in the sun when I get a chance. The weather conditions were awful. Anyway here are the shots at ISO 2500 and the Blue Jays are at ISO 6400. All have some standard processing. Topaz DeNoise, Topaz Sharpen, Exposure, Contrast. The first shot compares the MC-14 to the MC-20. Both shot at the same spot, same squirrel, different pose lol. ...the rain/dark made conditions worse for the MC-20 Squirrel.

Last edited:
Real Name
Ian
IMO, light is the biggest issue with the TC-20. I'd imagine that you'd want to stop the 300/4 down to f/9-11 for the best sharpness (can't imagine wide open sharpness with a 2.0X TC is all that great), but in doing so you cause the ISO to go through the roof, which with m43 isn't desirable and tends to require some more advanced NR (DXO Prime, Topaz, etc.).

It's a handy tool to have when needed and the conditions are acceptable for its use, but I can't imagine dealing with 2 stops of light all the time will be desirable.

alex g

Mu-43 All-Pro
Well it rained all day yesterday, but I got a chance to shoot a little. The rain played havoc with the focus terribly. In fact I was having all kinds of problems focusing towards infinity. Had to use S-AF mostly. I kept reseating the TC and the Lens to make sure they were tight...they were. More testing in the sun when I get a chance. It might have been just the weather conditions.
I think your suspicions are probably correct — I believe that atmospheric conditions (mist, rain, dust etc) are generally more problematic for PDAF than CDAF, which would tally with your reporting that S-AF was more effective under the circs, since S-AF uses only CDAF on the E-M1 II/X (with native lenses).

Aside from the weather related issue, it might also be worth checking and if necessary tweaking the focus calibration for the 300/4 + MC-20 combination, if you're a tuning sort of person and haven't already. :)

Nice squirrel though! :thumbsup:

Gidget

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Leah Hallett
Now for more f/8 photo friendly weather conditions ;). All the shots are the full frame, shot with the E-M1X, 300mm f/4 + MC-20 using C-AF + Trk, Single AF Point, Sensitivity can't remember..... AF quick and lens looks as sharp as the 1.4X at these distances. BUT: You have to have LIGHT.

The Hummers are 1202mm (say what?), partially supported by window. The Bees are Hand Held, 1202mm.

Alberta Dave

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Dave
Thanks for posting these. We have ordered two of them (one for me and one for my better half, Sue) to go with our 300mm F4.0 lenses. They should be here sometime in July as I checked on the Olympus store and they are now backordered so hopefully there will be a few more pictures being posted.
These are some great pics and really show what the combo is capable of. How is finding the target at 1200mm? I'm imagining that is is quite challenging!!!!

Last edited:
Real Name
Loren
Now for more f/8 photo friendly weather conditions ;). All the shots are the full frame, shot with the E-M1X, 300mm f/4 + MC-20 using C-AF + Trk, Single AF Point, Sensitivity can't remember..... AF quick and lens looks as sharp as the 1.4X at these distances. BUT: You have to have LIGHT.

The Hummers are 1202mm (say what?), partially supported by window. The Bees are Hand Held, 1202mm.

View attachment 756805

View attachment 756808

View attachment 756806

View attachment 756807

View attachment 756803

View attachment 756804
That’s far more impressive than I was expecting.

Gidget

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Leah Hallett
A couple more....

AndyT

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Andy
Thanks for posting these, most helpful in making a decision. I could probably have made good use of this TC with my new 300 f4 on my recent Safari, sadly it was released while I was away .................

Oh well I will certainly have one on my next trip I, will certainly be watching your posts for more examples.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom