Mu-43 app and Tapatalk removed

Amin Sabet

Administrator
Sounds like they're either:
a) a dodgy bunch of cowboys or
b) grown at a rate that their experience and resourcing levels can't keep up or
c) a little bit of both.
I'm pretty sure it's C. I've ruled out B.

The latest issue was classic Tapatalk:

They made an announcement on June 16: Tapatalk Blog – Latest News and Feature Spotlight – Tapatalk SEO and Monetization Update

The announcement said that it is going to be opt-in for paying site owners and opt-out for non-paying site owners. That in itself is shady. After their long history of missteps, it should have been opt-in for everyone.

What's worse is that they made it opt-out for everyone, including paying site owners. Oops, error in their favor.

On top of that, the announcement says Google won't consider it duplicate content (they have no way to ensure that), that Google will always rank the site result above the Tapatalk result (oops, they were wrong about that too), and that they are only copying snippets of posts (oops, they often copied whole posts and entire threads, another error in their favor).

Real Name
Michael A. Sewell
I wouldn't even worry about an alternative app.
With the steady rise of mobile browsing, and the fact websites in general are having to provide a responsive site, means we are all becoming used to browsing websites on our phones/tablets/netbooks etc and don't look for an app for said site.

Apps are fine for dedicated services where they also want to push extra services or sales. The forum isn't a sales platform, so popups and banners are going to irritate folk fairly quickly.

Mobile sites tend to retain the overall experience of the desktop site and the user knows what they are getting into, and also are generally able to follow their usual browsing patterns. Something not applicable to an app.

I used Tapatalk on a number of occasions, and have uninstalled it each time for various reasons. The mu-43 app was a far better experience, although I believe my points regarding the mobile site still stand.

Amin Sabet

Administrator
I wouldn't even worry about an alternative app.
With the steady rise of mobile browsing, and the fact websites in general are having to provide a responsive site, means we are all becoming used to browsing websites on our phones/tablets/netbooks etc and don't look for an app for said site.
There are things that our mobile responsive site isn't so good at, however. For example, push notifications require a separate app installation (Pushbullet). And images load for the whole page as opposed to lazyloading like Tapatalk. Of course I'm working on ways to improve these things...

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
Thanks for your post. I didn't think of the fact that the ad would cover up part of the sidebar. I've now disabled that ad entirely for tablet users who use the sidebar view. I will see if I can make the sidebar remained fixed as you scroll so that it will be more useful.
Amin, can you post a current screenshot of the sidebar? I enabled it a day ago but I haven't noticed it yet, using Chrome on an iPad W iOS 10.

Thanks,
Barry

Amin Sabet

Administrator
Amin, can you post a current screenshot of the sidebar? I enabled it a day ago but I haven't noticed it yet, using Chrome on an iPad W iOS 10.

Thanks,
Barry
Sure, this is landscape in Chrome on my iPad with that setting enabled:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Amin Sabet

Administrator
This is portrait:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Amin Sabet

Administrator
Weird, the setting has taken effect. You've been added to the user group that sees the sidebar. Not sure why it's not working :confused-53:. Dark site style shouldn't matter.

ruralvelo

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Edwin Young
Thanks for your post. I didn't think of the fact that the ad would cover up part of the sidebar. I've now disabled that ad entirely for tablet users who use the sidebar view. I will see if I can make the sidebar remained fixed as you scroll so that it will be more useful.
Thanks. That helps.

I understand you're position on Tapatalk and agree with what you've had to do. I'll be ok once I get a flow established for browsing and reading.

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
I've been using chrome since the move to xenforo on my phone and tablet. It's probably the best moble browsing experience out there. One thing I'd like to see is continuation of pages while scrolling instead of hitting the next key.

Niemer

Mu-43 Regular
Every time I click a link I get prompts to open in tapatalk or chrome. Even the links in pushbullet, any way to stop that from happening?

Amin Sabet

Administrator

Niemer

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks, I do use it for other forums so hopefully it's solved soon.

Niemer

Mu-43 Regular
Yeah, it did it after a clean install on a new phone. It seems that there is still some hook in the tapatalk servers that's tied to this site.

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
Yeah, it did it after a clean install on a new phone. It seems that there is still some hook in the tapatalk servers that's tied to this site.
A workaround that should help:
Android settings: default applications, Tapatalk, Clear.

If that works, it will affect all web sites, but will not stop you from launching Tapatalk manually.

Niemer

Mu-43 Regular
I think that got it, but there was another option "open supported links in this app" was set to always. I changed that to ask every time and that seems to have done it.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom