Mu-43 app and Tapatalk removed

Amin Sabet

Administrator
If Tapatalk can't play nice, ditch them. Remember: fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.
Thanks, @Giiba and @oldracer

In this case they already fooled me twice, shame on me. Now they are saying they made a mistake and want me to try a third time, which as much as I want to offer members the option, I'm thinking would be really foolish.

Amin Sabet

Administrator
Hi Amin, on an iPad in landscape orientation, the app would show the list of threads (with new posts) on the left, and tapping on one would open it on the right.
One would never have to go back and forth, saving refresh time as well as taps and arm movements to the back button. Browser tabs don't help much as still need lots of movement.
I have hand/arm issues (RMI) so it makes a big difference for me.

On a PC, I can middle-click the mouse to open everything in new tabs, and then use the keyboard only to navigate between tabs and scroll.

I don't see a good way to achieve the left thread list without resorting to frames or lots of JavaScript, which may introduce other usability issues.
However, if the forum software has options, I'd like to see some examples to try.

Thanks,
Barry
Hi Barry, the forum software doesn't have options like that, unfortunately. Maybe there is a Tapatalk competitor I can try. Will do some looking...

pellicle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
pellicle
Hi Amin, on an iPad in landscape orientation, the app would show the list of threads (with new posts) on the left, and tapping on one would open it on the right.

on my android phone and android tablets, I long press the link and am offered "open in a new tab" on the browsers I use (Chrome, Opera and the standard one)

Browser tabs don't help much as still need lots of movement.
... not sure if that will work on iPad or address your issue. For me its not so much different (and I'm one to minimise the movement and maximise ergonomics where possible).

I usually skim through and open in a new tab stuff that I'm likely to read and then go read them one at a time when I'm done checking what may be interesting to read.

HTH

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
Last edited:

Amin Sabet

Administrator
One of the things Tapatalk did well was show the first couple hundred characters of a thread without clicking on it. Basically a thread preview. I can use an addon to provide that to the thread lists on the mobile site. Not sure if folks would want that or not.

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
One of the things Tapatalk did well was show the first couple hundred characters of a thread without clicking on it. Basically a thread preview. I can use an addon to provide that to the thread lists on the mobile site. Not sure if folks would want that or not.
I usually ignored that... if you do it, can images be excluded from that preview?

thanks

Amin Sabet

Administrator
One would never have to go back and forth, saving refresh time as well as taps and arm movements to the back button. Browser tabs don't help much as still need lots of movement.
I have hand/arm issues (RMI) so it makes a big difference for me.
Barry, have you tried enabling "Show Recent Discussions in Thread View Right Column?" in Preferences?

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Angus
Ah. I filed a bug report earlier without realising.

It's a shame, but it is what it is. I prefer the layout of the mobile website to the app (particularly the notifications button) but the app was faster in that it didn't have to load as many assets, only content.

No complaints from me about the mobile website.

ruralvelo

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Edwin Young
Yes, it should work on a tablet.
It does work. The problem with it that it is attached to the top of the page. If you're reading posts down the page you have no idea that it is there and it isn't useable to navigate to another thread, unless you go back to the top every time. Plus the advertisement banner covers up part of the column. At least on my iPad.

I've been trying to get happy with the web-only forum reading. I'm better and have learned a few things that improved my experience. I've never been much of a forum guy. The app made browsing and viewing easier for me.

Amin Sabet

Administrator
It does work. The problem with it that it is attached to the top of the page. If you're reading posts down the page you have no idea that it is there and it isn't useable to navigate to another thread, unless you go back to the top every time. Plus the advertisement banner covers up part of the column. At least on my iPad.
Thanks for your post. I didn't think of the fact that the ad would cover up part of the sidebar. I've now disabled that ad entirely for tablet users who use the sidebar view. I will see if I can make the sidebar remained fixed as you scroll so that it will be more useful.

Amin Sabet

Administrator
but the app was faster in that it didn't have to load as many assets, only content...
I really wish I could at least keep Tapatalk support if not the mobile app support. But over time they have done so many things wrong, including but not limited to the following:

-Showing ads at times that we opted out
-Failing for months to alert site owners to a Tapatalk security vulnerability
-Uploading images to their server instead of ours
-Messing up usergroup permissions
-Adding annoying popups to our site which kept recurring even when the setting was set to have them off
-Later asking for $10/month per site for us to have the right to disable their annoying banner
-Redirecting our "install Mu-43 app" banner to Tapatalk app page in app store even when we were paying them $10/month per site
-Copying our content to their servers and republishing it with ads
-Google sending me warnings that Tapatalk is doing things that could compromise our search rankings for mobile.
-And many, many more - too many to mention

Most of the time I call them out on something - like failing to dsiable annoying popups - they say it was a mistake on their part that they will fix. Of course, it's always an error in their favor, and the fixes often don't work. And then when the fix finally works, they make another "mistake".

So there are some very good reasons not to use them. They are a shady outfit.

But, their app is a good one. I can see why many people like to use it. I will be on the lookout for a viable alternative.

Last edited:

Giiba

Something to someone somewhere
You know few things on the web annoy me like that "this forum is tapatalk compatible... download the app" page they inject between google and a forum. It is not surprising to hear they do this against a sites desires, and I've no doubt their app is mining personal data like so many others. I'll have to stop blaming the sites in my head.

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Angus
I really wish I could at least keep Tapatalk support if not the mobile app support. But over time they have done so many things wrong, including but not limited to the following:

-Showing ads at times that we opted out
-Failing for months to alert site owners to a Tapatalk security vulnerability
-Uploading images to their server instead of ours
-Messing up usergroup permissions
-Adding annoying popups to our site which kept recurring even when the setting was set to have them off
-Later asking for $10/month per site for us to have the right to disable their annoying banner
-Redirecting our "install Mu-43 app" banner to Tapatalk app page in app store even when we were paying them $10/month per site
-Copying our content to their servers and republishing it with ads
-Google sending me warnings that Tapatalk is doing things that could compromise our search rankings for mobile.
-And many, many more - too many to mention

Most of the time I call them out on something - like failing to dsiable annoying popups - they say it was a mistake on their part that they will fix. Of course, it's always an error in their favor, and the fixes often don't work. And then when the fix finally works, they make another "mistake".

So there are some very good reasons not to use them. They are a shady outfit.

But, their app is a good one. I can see why many people like to use it. I will be on the lookout for a viable alternative.
The Tapatalk app itself (I've been using it on and off for various forums since 2008) I've never actually liked. The Mu-43 app itself though was pretty good.

Sounds like they're either:
a) a dodgy bunch of cowboys or
b) grown at a rate that their experience and resourcing levels can't keep up or
c) a little bit of both.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom