Lumix 100-400mm purchase options

brlowe

Mu-43 Regular
So I'm looking at getting the Panasonic Lumix 100-400mm lens. On amazon they have 2 options.
New US model $1597
Renewed for $1279
International $1380 with 2 yr warranty

Are the renewed models any good? Only a 90 day warranty
Will I really be able to get an international model fixed or replaced in the 2 yr warranty if purchased in the States?

Brandon

Canonista

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I just bought one for $1,138 on eBay. These lenses are made in China, so if it’s on your purchase list, you may want to get one before they impose higher tariffs on photography gear.

I didn’t buy any warranty, so I’m taking a risk, but from what others are reporting, Panasonic will not repair, but will only replace with a refurbished unit for $1k+, at which price I could just buy a new one.

Wisertime

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Steve
For new or used?
There are a few used ones for $1100. You can buy a third party warranty with the savings and save the difference, if that's your worry. I noticed on the 8-18 this week they were extending warranties to 3 years (on new). Maybe they are also for the other lenses?

Keeth101

Mu-43 Veteran
I hope you're not thinking of pairing it with an Olympus camera. Too many reported problems ..... none of them to do with Panasonic's terrible lack of service.

PFrank

Mu-43 Rookie
I hope you're not thinking of pairing it with an Olympus camera. Too many reported problems ..... none of them to do with Panasonic's terrible lack of service.
On the other hand, I have been using mine on an EM1.1 and EM1.2 since it first came out with no problems. Yes, some people have problems but lots don't.

Enoch

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Enoch Haven
I bought an international one on Ebay recently for my Em-1, along with a third party warranty, and I have had no problems whatsoever after thousands of shots. The mount is snug, but smooth. No grinding or shavings at all. I am glad I bought it the way I did. It was about 1150 including warranty and shipping.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
If your not in a hurry, Olympus look like bringing out something similar if you look at their lens road map.
I don't know why they have not dropped any hints as it appears they may be loosing a few sales to the G9 & 100-400 combo which is semi affordable.

Roberts Camera has a used site, UsedPhotoPro which has the 100-400 for $1279
Panasonic DG 100-400mm f4-6.3 Vario-Elmar ASPH Power OIS Leica MFT Lens

This lens comes with Robert's own 6 month warranty and a hassle-free 14 day return policy. I have purchased from Roberts many times before. I only had an issue once - I called and told them the problem and they immediately sent me a return shipping label and soon as they got the item, they issued a refund.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The best way to "insure" one of these is to get an all perils policy from your house/renters insurance, about $35 per year.

Canonista

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I see new lenses on Ebay for $1095-1700. How do I know if the $1095 guy is legit?
Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Elmar 100-400mm f/4-6.3 ASPH. POWER O.I.S. H-RS100400 885170265295 | eBay
Someone mentioned that DWI is an authorized Hong Kong based Panasonic dealer. I passed on them because they had too many negative feedback of a nature that made me uncomfortable. I bought from e-infinity who has a 100% rating, and I see they have now dropped their price to $1,120. They shipped mine via FedEx, and it arrived in 2 days.

NEW Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Elmar 100-400mm f/4-6.3 ASPH. O.I.S. Lens 885170265295 | eBay

I see new lenses on Ebay for $1095-1700. How do I know if the $1095 guy is legit?
Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Elmar 100-400mm f/4-6.3 ASPH. POWER O.I.S. H-RS100400 885170265295 | eBay
Well like any other seller on ebay you take their feedback score into account. Currently they have 12123 feedback with 98.8 positive. That looks pretty good to me.
That's how I would view them if I've never done business with them but since I have with several purchases from them in the past, I have nothing but great things to say about them. They ship extremely fast usually have your item fedex'ed to you in about 2 business days and their items are brand spanking new with full tracking info and signature confirmation. I've bought my oly 12-40mm and 40-150 pro and 1.4 TC from them, all in separate transactions and would recommend them to anyone who want's to save on camera gear.
Of course, all of it is gray market so if that's an issue for you, stay away but I've never had a problem with camera gear and I don't abuse my gear either so I'll continue saving whenever wherever possible.

comment23

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Simon
If your not in a hurry, Olympus look like bringing out something similar if you look at their lens road map.
I don't know why they have not dropped any hints as it appears they may be loosing a few sales to the G9 & 100-400 combo which is semi affordable.
Because the Olympus is going to be 3 x 4 times more expensive, it is a constant f4 (Bigger also).
I think the lens @retiredfromlife is suggesting is the one I’ve circled in green whereas you’re probably talking about the one circled red?
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom