Laowa 9mm f/2.8 - any owners?

cptobvious

Mu-43 Veteran
So this lens has been out for a while but I haven’t found reviews of it on MFT. I’ve tried the 7.5mm f/2 but as a pixel peeper, I felt there were too many compromises in the edges and corners in terms of resolution/vignetting/distortion. It left the impression that it was too ambitiously designed (small + light + super wide + wide aperture) at the expense of even optical performance. The 9mm seems like it would be much more even across the frame given its specs and it being originally designed for a larger imaging circle. I’ll probably order the 9mm for my upcoming trip but was wondering if anyone here owns the lens and what your impressions are. Thanks!

Joris

Mu-43 Regular
Last edited:

cptobvious

Mu-43 Veteran
Thanks. I saw those but couldn’t find a review specifically for the MFT mount version.

cptobvious

Mu-43 Veteran
I think possibly. For example, reviews of the Rokinon 12mm on APS-C generally find it’s an average performer on the borders but the MFT version review I’ve read says it’s sharp corner-to-corner. I suppose generally the MFT version performs better because it uses a center crop of the imaging circle, but some lenses have a wavy resolution characteristic where the midframe is weak.

StanS

Mu-43 Regular
Crawley, West Sussex UK / Plovdiv, Bulgaria
Are you sure that you haven't been looking at samples of a decentered Laowa 7.5mm? I do not have the lens myself, but I do remember that shortly after its release there was an issue of many of the first copies being decentered and having woeful sharpness in the corners, even at higher apertures. The normal lens apparently has a much better performance.

Of course, it might be the case that you just have a much higher standard for sharpness than I do.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom