First prime

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 23yrs ago
I echo the post above. I bought my primes for low light use with 1.8 being my financial limitation (see my signature for kit). I haven't given them a great deal of use yet, which I aim to rectify in future but what I will say is that when I do carry only them, I feel good about myself (can't explain any better). I think more about what I am doing, derive more pleasure from that, and hands down, I find the images/rendering,sharpness much, much, more pleasing.

Don't know if I've got a bad copy but I see that you are thinking of the Olly 9-18. Mine just needs so much more PP in anything other than bright sunlight............total lack of contrast with a flat look compared to the Panny 8-18 which I sadly parted with to fund the purchase of the Olly and another lens but perhaps other owners can verify this(or not) as I may not yet have found how to squeeze the best from it, or perhaps the "look" just isn't my preference.

JediCheese

Mu-43 Regular
Second, The PL 12-60 is a great lens, it's also very large and heavy as compared to the P 12-60. The thing about this specific pair of lenses is that the P performs very well when compared to the PL at a fraction of the cost. Unless you need the speed, you may want to consider it as an option. There are plenty of reviews out there for both lenses as well as some direct comparisons. There's a used copy of the P on this board right now for $170. Take a look at the reviews, you may be able to get your prime and a 12-60 for less than the PL.
The PL 12-60mm would be a replacement for the O14-150mm II I currently have when traveling when I don't feel I would need the extra zoom. They're about the same size and the PL only weighs 1 oz more. The P 12-60mm is half an inch shorter, but equally wide and I save 3 oz over my current O14-150 II.

I'm not that price sensitive and would rather buy good glass up front rather than buying cheap glass and then rebuying better glass later.

Sorry to rain on your parade but, IMO, simply using a prime isn't going to up your game. Giving yourself a photographic challenge will be more productive. Now, if your challenge requires or would greatly benefit from a particular prime, then yeah, getting a prime would help.
Personally, the glass I buy will force me to not just spray and pray (or look at something, zoom in to get what I want, and take the shot) and instead compose the shots I want. It'll also force me into a type of photography (if I buy a 60mm macro lens, I'll spend more time up close shooting stuff that it works on vs a 15mm where it's more wide angle panoramic shots). Personally, I think a wider angle is more my preference, but the wider f-stop (and thus less depth of field) will show up better in a higher zoom.

I echo the post above. I bought my primes for low light use with 1.8 being my financial limitation (see my signature for kit). I haven't given them a great deal of use yet, which I aim to rectify in future but what I will say is that when I do carry only them, I feel good about myself (can't explain any better). I think more about what I am doing, derive more pleasure from that, and hands down, I find the images/rendering,sharpness much, much, more pleasing.

Don't know if I've got a bad copy but I see that you are thinking of the Olly 9-18. Mine just needs so much more PP in anything other than bright sunlight............total lack of contrast with a flat look compared to the Panny 8-18 which I sadly parted with to fund the purchase of the Olly and another lens but perhaps other owners can verify this(or not) as I may not yet have found how to squeeze the best from it, or perhaps the "look" just isn't my preference.
Personally, I'm more interested in the Oly 9-18 because it's tiny compared to the other zoom lenses in this category. It'll make an amazing companion to my current O14-150 II. There are a number of wide shots I would love to take straight on but due to my limited width I can only get them via an angle currently. If I wasn't looking to travel, both the Panasonic and Olympus 7-14mm lenses would be ideal candidates.

Acraftman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Opinions and reasons lots available , my first was the 25 1.8 now I wish I had a 17 1.4 instead. I suggest a fast one . Here is a link to a utuber that shoots the em10 and does really helpful insight tutorials.

angusr

Mu-43 Regular
You should consider if you will buy eventually buy a set of primes. For instance 17 and 45 work well as a pair, 12, 20 and 45 work well as a trio as do 15, 30 and 60. You probably wouldn't want 25 and 45 as a pair though (NB perhaps for someone's uses this would be perfect, perhaps it is perfect for you, but consider it before buying).

JediCheese

Mu-43 Regular
You should consider if you will buy eventually buy a set of primes. For instance 17 and 45 work well as a pair, 12, 20 and 45 work well as a trio as do 15, 30 and 60. You probably wouldn't want 25 and 45 as a pair though (NB perhaps for someone's uses this would be perfect, perhaps it is perfect for you, but consider it before buying).
An interesting point that I've not seen brought up before.

I'm partial to the Yi 42.5mm that's currently on sale for $80 through AliExpress. It's supposedly about the same quality as the Olympus 45mm, is a little bit larger, has the same weight, but lacks manual focus. I would like to eventually pair it with a 7.5mm Laowa if I decide I like doing photo shoots with primes for landscapes/astrophotography which is my typical interests.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I wouldn't travel with it because i would have more variability and space/weight is at a premium when I travel (I onebag all my international travel). About the only reason I would carry it when traveling is if it's something I don't have covered by the 9-18mm and 14-150mm or I feel it would be ideal for my travels due to having a higher fstop.
Primes are actually perfect for travel, where space and weight are at a premium. Precisely the reason why I got into m4/3. My first experimental combo was the Panasonic 14mm f/2.5, 20mm f/1.7 pancake, and a free 25mm f/1.7 on my GX8. And a wide angle adapter for the 14mm. Spent nearly 3 months OS, shot these https://photos.app.goo.gl/uf7WQsXbiF3hLnFo9
A year and a bit back, traveled again, this time with the PL 8-18 to accompany the primes, & shot these https://photos.app.goo.gl/DAmfUgEWGFFwD4Yq9
To save even more space and weight, I could easily and comfortably replace the 8-18 with the Laowa 7.5 or 9mm. That, is the glorious thing about m4/3 Excellent IQ, in a tiny package.

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
The PL 12-60mm would be a replacement for the O14-150mm II I currently have when traveling when I don't feel I would need the extra zoom. They're about the same size and the PL only weighs 1 oz more. The P 12-60mm is half an inch shorter, but equally wide and I save 3 oz over my current O14-150 II.

I'm not that price sensitive and would rather buy good glass up front rather than buying cheap glass and then rebuying better glass later.

Personally, the glass I buy will force me to not just spray and pray (or look at something, zoom in to get what I want, and take the shot) and instead compose the shots I want. It'll also force me into a type of photography (if I buy a 60mm macro lens, I'll spend more time up close shooting stuff that it works on vs a 15mm where it's more wide angle panoramic shots). Personally, I think a wider angle is more my preference, but the wider f-stop (and thus less depth of field) will show up better in a higher zoom.

Personally, I'm more interested in the Oly 9-18 because it's tiny compared to the other zoom lenses in this category. It'll make an amazing companion to my current O14-150 II. There are a number of wide shots I would love to take straight on but due to my limited width I can only get them via an angle currently. If I wasn't looking to travel, both the Panasonic and Olympus 7-14mm lenses would be ideal candidates.
I use the P-Lumix 12-60 for my travel lens.
It is smaller and lighter than the P-Leica 12-60. And that was one of my primary considerations for travel; small and light.
A travel lens is always a compromise, and I found that the P-Lumix 12-60 was/is "good enough" for what I want. I use the larger/heavier pro lenses at home.

As much as I want an ultra-wide, I would shoot it so little that I can't justify the cost. An option is to stitch images to give you the coverage of the ultra-wide. In your case:
  • If you get a 12-60 to replace your 14-150, would you still want an ultra-wide lens?
  • Or skip the 12-60, get the 9-18 and use it paired with your 14-150.
You need to think "system."
  • You need to think LONG TERM. Project your various needs and what you want your final system to look like, then plan how to get there.
  • How do the lenses complement each other?
  • What lenses would you take and use on a trip?
  • Different types of photo shoots may call for different kit of lenses.
    • Example1, I take a completely different kit of lenses when I shoot baseball than when I shoot volleyball.
    • Example2, a wildlife trip would call for LONG lenses, vs a city trip that would call for shorter/wider lenses.
    • Example3, closeup work requires a macro lens, or closeup gear for your existing lenses.
  • What lenses would you use at home, where the size/weight constraints of travel are removed?
    • My home lenses are free from the size/weight constraint of my travel kit.
  • Are you open to having lenses that duplicate each other?
    • Example1, a small/light 14-42 for travel and a big/heavy 12-40/2.8 for home?
    • Example2, your single 14-150 for travel and the larger/heavier pair 12-40/2.8 + 40-150/2.8 for home.
    • Exmaple3, the small/light 40-150R for travel and the larger 75-300 for home.
  • Do you want either of the high end GP zooms, and how would they fit into your system plan. The cost of these lenses are size, weight and $$$$.
    • P-Leica 12-60
    • Olympus 12-100/4

JediCheese

Mu-43 Regular
I use the P-Lumix 12-60 for my travel lens.
It is smaller and lighter than the P-Leica 12-60. And that was one of my primary considerations for travel; small and light.
A travel lens is always a compromise, and I found that the P-Lumix 12-60 was/is "good enough" for what I want. I use the larger/heavier pro lenses at home.

As much as I want an ultra-wide, I would shoot it so little that I can't justify the cost. An option is to stitch images to give you the coverage of the ultra-wide. In your case:
  • If you get a 12-60 to replace your 14-150, would you still want an ultra-wide lens?
  • Or skip the 12-60, get the 9-18 and use it paired with your 14-150.
You need to think "system."
  • You need to think LONG TERM. Project your various needs and what you want your final system to look like, then plan how to get there.
  • How do the lenses complement each other?
  • What lenses would you take and use on a trip?
  • Different types of photo shoots may call for different kit of lenses.
    • Example1, I take a completely different kit of lenses when I shoot baseball than when I shoot volleyball.
    • Example2, a wildlife trip would call for LONG lenses, vs a city trip that would call for shorter/wider lenses.
    • Example3, closeup work requires a macro lens, or closeup gear for your existing lenses.
  • What lenses would you use at home, where the size/weight constraints of travel are removed?
    • My home lenses are free from the size/weight constraint of my travel kit.
  • Are you open to having lenses that duplicate each other?
    • Example1, a small/light 14-42 for travel and a big/heavy 12-40/2.8 for home?
    • Example2, your single 14-150 for travel and the larger/heavier pair 12-40/2.8 + 40-150/2.8 for home.
    • Exmaple3, the small/light 40-150R for travel and the larger 75-300 for home.
  • Do you want either of the high end GP zooms, and how would they fit into your system plan. The cost of these lenses are size, weight and $$$$.
    • P-Leica 12-60
    • Olympus 12-100/4
Short term is O9-18 + O14-150 II for travel. Covers my needs, is fairly lightweight and small, and I can stop hemorrhaging money on this hobby.

If there's nothing worth zooming in on (my last 2 months in Europe has required very few shots with the big zoom but slightly wider would have been nice), I would likely just go PL12-60 so I'm not constantly swapping out lenses (also may not have to carry a prime to get indoor/night shots).

Had I known what I know now, I would have gotten the PL12-60 and not gotten my current lens but when in Andorra, the salesman was giving insane deals and I got a little excited (and the O14-42EZ that came in the kit wasn't cutting it IMO). Impulse purchase wins again.

The starter prime has two uses. The first is to carry it around when traveling for indoor/night shots. This thread and some other research makes me think a wide prime of <=25mm and f-stop of 2 or less, so the O25 or P20 are the obvious candidates, but the O12, P15, or a 17 might be good too. The second use is to use the prime as a walking around prime at home to up my craft. I would have the single lens, and use it like a homework assignment ('find something interesting you can capture with this lens').

I would also like the Laowa 7.5 for astrophotography and very wide shots, but it's lower on my acquire list. It's not like the night sky is going anywhere and I'd also need to purchase a travel tripod so the cost per shot is very high.

If I find I like shooting the primes, I'd likely also fill in other primes as dictated by what I'm shooting typically and if I want to travel with it or not (the O45 f1.2 would likely make a really poor travel prime but the O45 f1.8 would do fine as an extra in my travel bag on certain trips).

Real Name
Mark
You mention using it at home and around. Put me in the camp of people recommending the Panasonic 20mm. It's small (though not as small as the Panasonic 14mm), it's a short normal which means that it's a great all around lens and I find it an easier focal length to work with than 25mm indoors. It is slow to autofocus but once you get used to it, it's not an issue.

JensM

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
As screename
For a general walking around lens, my choice was the O17, and I more or less stuck with that for a year, was and still am somewhat infatuated with it. Could be that it is due to never having run a 35mm back in the analog days.

I started with a W/N/T of 28, 50 and 135 combo back then and stuck with that for the better parts of a decade. Coming over from Dslrs to M43, I bought the GX7 with the 12-32 and a O45, but that was to round off the zoom and get some slightly longer reach in a very compact package. I have later added the little P35-100 and that with its little brother are slightly hidden gems in the system.

For the scenario in this tread, I would look hard at two lenses, either the O17 or the P20, both would fit the bill for a reasonable add-on to the zooms for indoors use and both have a slightly "different" capture angle than the "boring" nifty- fifty equivalent. :)

JediCheese

Mu-43 Regular
You mention using it at home and around. Put me in the camp of people recommending the Panasonic 20mm. It's small (though not as small as the Panasonic 14mm), it's a short normal which means that it's a great all around lens and I find it an easier focal length to work with than 25mm indoors. It is slow to autofocus but once you get used to it, it's not an issue.
For a general walking around lens, my choice was the O17, and I more or less stuck with that for a year, was and still am somewhat infatuated with it. Could be that it is due to never having run a 35mm back in the analog days.

I started with a W/N/T of 28, 50 and 135 combo back then and stuck with that for the better parts of a decade. Coming over from Dslrs to M43, I bought the GX7 with the 12-32 and a O45, but that was to round off the zoom and get some slightly longer reach in a very compact package. I have later added the little P35-100 and that with its little brother are slightly hidden gems in the system.

For the scenario in this tread, I would look hard at two lenses, either the O17 or the P20, both would fit the bill for a reasonable add-on to the zooms for indoors use and both have a slightly "different" capture angle than the "boring" nifty- fifty equivalent. :)
There's a few good deals on the P20 in the deals part of the forums. I'll see if I can pick one up. It would also compliment a full set of Laowa 7.5, O12, and O45 down the line if I want to go that way in the future (assuming nothing better comes out).

JediCheese

Mu-43 Regular
You will be wanting the MkII version. :)
Can I ask why? My understanding is the Mk1 vs Mk2 are very similar and from reviews that I've found online, there isn't enough value to justify an extra $50 for the Mk2.

JensM

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
As screename
I have come to understand that the MkII has quite the improved performance on contrast and flare control and a slight performance bump regarding CA as well. I have kept an eye out for a second hand version of MkII to scratch the itch.

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
The 14-42EZ is a great compact lens.
I take it with the EM10 (without the grip) when I want a small/compact camera, like going out to dinner or similar.
I personally don't care for the power zoom, but it does the job.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
There's a few good deals on the P20 in the deals part of the forums. I'll see if I can pick one up. It would also compliment a full set of Laowa 7.5, O12, and O45 down the line if I want to go that way in the future (assuming nothing better comes out).
At the minute, my prime kit consists of the Panny 14 with wide angle adapter, PL 15, Panny 20, Panny 25, PL 25, and Sigma 56 f/1.4. Along with the previous mentioned PL 8-18 for wide angle work. If I was to do it again, to build the perfect lightweight and compact travel kit, I'd go with either the Laowa 7.5 or 9mm, plus the PL 15, Sigma 30 and Sigma 56mm. That would give you outstanding IQ in a tiny, light and very very competent package. I personally find 12mm a little bit of a no man's land, I'll either go wide to 8 or 9mm, or to my favourite little PL 15mm. Spectacular little lens. https://photos.app.goo.gl/hjkSX8a3j1t8XmNa6
And forget the zooms.

JediCheese

Mu-43 Regular
The 14-42EZ is a great compact lens.
I take it with the EM10 (without the grip) when I want a small/compact camera, like going out to dinner or similar.
I personally don't care for the power zoom, but it does the job.
I don't have anything against it, it just doesn't have enough range for me to compose shots the way I want. Plus I really hate the zoom.

At the minute, my prime kit consists of the Panny 14 with wide angle adapter, PL 15, Panny 20, Panny 25, PL 25, and Sigma 56 f/1.4. Along with the previous mentioned PL 8-18 for wide angle work. If I was to do it again, to build the perfect lightweight and compact travel kit, I'd go with either the Laowa 7.5 or 9mm, plus the PL 15, Sigma 30 and Sigma 56mm. That would give you outstanding IQ in a tiny, light and very very competent package. I personally find 12mm a little bit of a no man's land, I'll either go wide to 8 or 9mm, or to my favourite little PL 15mm. Spectacular little lens. https://photos.app.goo.gl/hjkSX8a3j1t8XmNa6
And forget the zooms.
I don't like swapping lenses on the go. It's bad enough swapping the UV filter for the polarizer (which I love) of which I only have to do once or twice a day.

Personally, I feel a Laowa 7.5, Olympus 12, and Panasonic 20 would give a good range without stepping on each other's toes if I feel I like primes.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom