Comprehensive List of Native Micro Four Thirds Lenses

dhazeghi

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dara
Thanks Barry, I've updated the list. Per Panasonic, DFD is available with any Panasonic lens on the GH4, GX8 and G7, though the gains it provides can vary considerably (e.g. a lot on the 35-100/2.8, very little on the 100-300/4.5-5.6.

acnomad

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Andy
I just put this together to visualize what the primes vs. zooms options are for covering various focal lengths and thought I would share it as an aid to those deciding how to build/adjust their native lens kits.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

pellicle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
pellicle
Hi

I wouldn't count them, if they do, then my Asahi lens is a native too

Oh, and I corrected your last sentence

Bruce McL

Mu-43 Regular
Hi

Oh, and I corrected your last sentence
Not so fast.

I now own the 8mm lens. I removed the m4/3 mount, which was attached to the lens with three philips head screws. There is no C mount underneath. I also own a C mount lens and adaptor. I know exactly what that looks like. I'll post pictures of the 8mm lens tomorrow.

pellicle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
pellicle
Not so fast.
I am going to have to get into the habit of putting LoL or some other thing in my posts so that people can identify humor / mirth or just plain kidding around.

I'm sorry you took my kidding around with your post badly. It was intended to be succinct not insulting or provocative.

Still in my view its not a native lens even IF the adaptor is screwed on. If I got a FD lens and adapted it with a screw on base that fitted it to make it look like the adapter was made for it (because it was) it too would not be native. This fellow for instance makes a very fine conversion kit that even includes the chip to allow the lens to report its focal length.

Products Archive - FD to EF Conversions

Such lenses are still not native, even if a commercial seller does them as a business.

If it wasn't designed for m43 then its not a native lens IMO.

on your point of you have C-Mount so you know what your talking about, for what its worth I own a few cmounts myself and have blogged about adapting such lenses to fit mounts with posts dating back 7 years.

So aside from the fact that your lens has had a permanent mount added to it can you please provide some other points to validate why its properly a native lens and not just an adapted one that has had the plate screwed on permanently?

shalom

Last edited:

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
I think it's a moot point whether any lens can be considered native. Obviously the AF units are, but even non-chipped lenses (e.g. Kowa) are officially listed by the Four Thirds association, while similar lenses like the Mitakon, SLR Magic, Lens Baby are not. The Kowa lenses are just CCTV optical designs that happen to cover m4/3 and have been converted (by Kowa obviously) to fit m4/3. For me the only thing that matters is that it fits without a separate adapter that has its own tolerances and issues. Beyond that listing attributes like MF only, no electrical connection etc would be useful.

Last edited:

Bruce McL

Mu-43 Regular
Let's keep this civil and on-topic please.

Barry
Thank you for the time and energy you put into this site.

I think it's a moot point whether any lens can be considered native. Obviously the AF units are, but even non-chipped lenses (e.g. Kowa) are officially listed by the Four Thirds association, while similar lenses like the Mitakon, SLR Magic, Lens Baby are not. The Kowa lenses are just CCTV optical designs that happen to cover m4/3 and have been converted (by Kowa obviously) to fit m4/3. For me the only thing that matters is that it fits without a separate adapter that has its own tolerances and issues. Beyond that listing attributes like MF only, no electrical connection etc would be useful.
The database that is linked to in the first post of this thread is more inclusive than the official list. It has a lot of helpful information.

I think this 8mm lens compares well to the Samyang fisheye and wide angle lenses that are listed in that database/web page. Some of those lenses share the same basic design with systems that have larger sensors and larger flange distances. The difference with the 8mm Fish-Eye 4/3” is that it shares the same basic design with a system that uses smaller sensors and a smaller flange distance.

Not wanting to force the issue, I haven’t created a Showcase thread for this lens in the native or adapted section. You’ve already been to the thread I started but I will post the link here in case others are interested.

There's a New Fish in Town

I’ve had the lens for just under a week now, and I am still very impressed with it.

SojiOkita

Mu-43 All-Pro
There was already an answer about that (the subject was on including or not Holga-like lenses):

I don't mind lo-fi lenses, but they're a broad category, like adapted lenses in general. I think I'll stick to lenses that are at least nominally designed for the format.
All of this is very subjective.
Knowing if a lens have been specifically designed for the format can be difficult.
Sigma lenses for instance have been designed for APS-C. Are they native lenses?

Some other exemple, the SLR magic pin hole:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007Y05GUI/
(it's native but is this a lens?)

The fact that a lens have a m43 mount, however, is objective.
The best way would probably to have a specific section.

dhazeghi

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dara

dhazeghi

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dara
There was already an answer about that (the subject was on including or not Holga-like lenses):

All of this is very subjective.
Knowing if a lens have been specifically designed for the format can be difficult.
Sigma lenses for instance have been designed for APS-C. Are they native lenses?

Some other exemple, the SLR magic pin hole:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007Y05GUI/
(it's native but is this a lens?)

The fact that a lens have a m43 mount, however, is objective.
The best way would probably to have a specific section.
I don't necessarily disagree, but I needed to draw the line somewhere, to keep things manageable. There are a lot of specialty lenses (cinema lenses etc.) that do come in m4/3 mount, but because they're not generally available, and not generally of interest to our community (due to availability and price), I've left them off.

Probably I should leave the manual focus lenses out of the list as the difference between a native and adapted ones isn't terribly significant, but I did want to ensure that lenses like the Voigtlanders were mentioned, because they are specifically m4/3 lenses.

Last edited:

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
Sorry, been away for awhile. I've added the new lenses. I also noticed that most of the (non-micro) 4/3 lenses are now listed as 'special order' by B&H. Wouldn't be surprised if they were officially discontinued soon.
Thanks.

And all of the 4/3 lens links to Olympus's site no longer reach their product page.

thegimprider

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Douglas Coulter
When I first bought into the 4/3rds system Olympus had 3 grades of lenses offered. They sent me a great booklet listing them. The Gold Line was their Pro Lenses and I always knew Olympus could make lenses every bit as high quality as the Germans and held their own with Nikon and Cannon. Micro 4/3rds does not seem to maintain that same clear grading. Other than price, unless a lens says Pro I have no idea what its quality is under the new sales scheme. I can't find much Olympus support for 4/3rds online and will really miss that format. I'm glad I did not invest the big bucks in 4/3rd pro lenses. Until the PL7 I did not have a digital body worthy of $1,000.00 plus zooms. A pro prime will shine on any camera. Is a grading feature available for your chart and who is going to make some better long primes?

Aushiker

Super Moderator
Real Name
Andrew
When I first bought into the 4/3rds system Olympus had 3 grades of lenses offered. They sent me a great booklet listing them. The Gold Line was their Pro Lenses and I always knew Olympus could make lenses every bit as high quality as the Germans and held their own with Nikon and Cannon. Micro 4/3rds does not seem to maintain that same clear grading. Other than price, unless a lens says Pro I have no idea what its quality is under the new sales scheme.
Olympus Australia at least, on their website clearly delinates three lines of lenses: M.Zuiko Pro, M.Zuiko Premium and M.Zuiko.

dhazeghi

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dara
Thanks.

And all of the 4/3 lens links to Olympus's site no longer reach their product page.
Yes, I noticed that. Unfortunately, they seem to be trying to remove 'obsolete' products from their websites, which means a lot of the interesting information (MTF charts, samples etc.) is disappearing. I'll see if I can find a regional site that still has them, but in all likelihood I'll probably just have to remove the links.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom