Are the Panasonic-Leica lenses as good as 'real' Leica lenses??

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
ah - The Leica Man!

https://kenrockwell.com/leica/leica-man.htm

Ironically, this quote from the satire:

"The Leica man doesn't care, or even know, the trifling price of his cameras. This is not relevant. Just like a Porsche, no one buys a Leica because he needs it. He acquires the Leica because he is who he is."

matches perfectly with Leica CEO's quote about the Q and the 911 in the article I posted earlier:

"Leica’s CEO says the Q is like a 911 sports car. Assistance systems mean that you no longer need to be a pro to make good photographs, just as the tamed 911 now appeals to a wider market of average drivers."

edit2: in full disclosure - mine was guards red. and it was a turbo. LOL
Blue/blue Cabriolet S. While I haven’t carried firewood in the trunk I did transport way too much floor tile 200 miles in the back seat and trunk.

fader

Mu-43 Top Veteran
@ralf-11 In true Porschephile fashion! :laugh1:

Blue/blue Cabriolet S. While I haven’t carried firewood in the trunk I did transport way too much floor tile 200 miles in the back seat and trunk.
Most of the P club guys I knew had similar stories. The great thing about Porsche is that it doesn't mind assuming a few chores on top of being driven on a daily or near-daily basis. I once carried about 100 lineal ft of baseboard trim stretched over the top of my "un-tamed" '86 using the metal grate over the whale tail as a lashing point and some thin foam over the roof as a contact patch. That drew some looks at stoplights :redface:

robcee

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rob Campbell
didn’t read the whole thread, and it’s kind of a dumb question.

Panasonic makes lenses for Leica bodies. I am almost 100% positive that the Leica Q2 (with the Summilux F1.7 28mm) is a Panasonic manufactured lens (and possibly the rest of the camera is too).

I’d put the Pan/Leica 25mm f1.4 and 42.5 up against any native Leica lens for optics. Build quality and ergonomics... hard to say, but the M mount glass is all manual, so...

Panasonic’s lens manufacturing facilities are among the very best in the world.

John DiLeonardo

Mu-43 Regular
I am old. In my 20s I was inseparable from an M2 and a trio of Summicrons. I can say that those lenses were very special, looking at the images through a Micro Sight grain focuser was a revelation. The Canons and Nikons I was also using at the time we good, the Leica lenses were magical. A career and a couple of marriages got in the way and I took a 35 year hiatus from photography.

In my dotage I’ve returned to photography. Cameras are very different beasts than they were in the 70s (Firmware updates? In camera correction? IBIS?). I’ve settled on mft cameras and I’m very pleased with the results. I’m also pleased that some of the lenses I’ve accumulated are branded Leica. The ones I own (15, 25, 8-18, and D Vario-Elmarit 14-50) are all excellent. I’m also pleased that the Leica branding is a nod to the legendary lenses I loved when I was a pup.

Real Name
Mel
I have owned Leica cameras and lenses. I started with a Leica IIIF many years ago with a Summitar and Elmar lenses. Good quality but not on par with today's m43 PL lenses. Have had several other Leica M series cameras with Summilux and other lines of lenses. I think they were excellent and better than most others but not that much better than the PL lenses I now own for the Olympus and Panny bodies. And on another note, I also have had many different Porsches which I learned to love while living near the factory in Germany. I have owned a 944, a much loved but totaled 928 and my ride for the past 39 years, a well loved and cared for Porsche 911 SC Targa from 1980. I have driven it 127K in the past 39 years and it starts every time, shifts every time (maybe not as crisp as a Z28 I had), has been fairly economical when compared to other cars I have owned including a trio of Audis which almost broke my bank. I even can show the engine compartment since it has also remained in good shape except for some marring of the metal shroud.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

JohnJeffrey

Mu-43 Rookie
Mixed fruit! FWIW, I own & use Leica film bodies, Olympus Pen-f D, and am hooked on rangefinder type cameras including Contax, Fuji, etc. I have used rented Lumix Leica lenses and they are excellent, given their designs & intents. Are they “Leica”? Supposedly “yes.” Only a little bit Lumix too! Lol! Expensive too! Typical Leica. Same questions surround the Zeiss camp etc. Fun!

Armand Di Meo

Mu-43 Regular
I cannot answer this question from experience but my Panasonic Lumix 20mm f1.7 Aspherical lens (used on Olympus bodies) is so good, I could not imagine needing the Panasonic-Leica lenses or anything better. (The same applies to my Olympus lenses.) There are some people that are willing to pay a lot of extra money for the very best, which usually means small refinements or improvements way beyond the point of diminishing return. That is fine. But for me and most of us mere mortals, this question is a moot point.

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
I cannot answer this question from experience but my Panasonic Lumix 20mm f1.7 Aspherical lens (used on Olympus bodies) is so good, I could not imagine needing the Panasonic-Leica lenses or anything better. (The same applies to my Olympus lenses.) There are some people that are willing to pay a lot of extra money for the very best, which usually means small refinements or improvements way beyond the point of diminishing return. That is fine. But for me and most of us mere mortals, this question is a moot point.
No reason for it to be back and white, there's plenty of room for gray. I love some of my P lenses and dislike others. I'm very satisfied with the P-12-60. I see no reason to replace it with the $1k PL version except for the additional light, but for me, it isn't necessary. Another is the P 25 1.7. An amazing lens for the $ and again, no point in spending for the PL. On the other side I dislike the 100-300. For some reason it just isn't a sharp lens. I don't know if it's just a bad copy or what, but it seems to disappoint more than not. To me it's worth spending the $ for the PL, in this case the 50-200.

Ultimately is has to boil down to individual taste, use, and money. No one is right or wrong. As to whether the PL is as good as the L, no idea. They're good enough for me. All of my equipment takes better pictures than I do!

JensM

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
As screename
I have never caught up to what the collaboration consists of?

I do have a soft spot for the Leicas lore and wouldn't mind owning a system from them down the road, but untill I sell a kidney, one of the kids and some odds&ends, I dont think it will be likely to happen.

fader

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I have never caught up to what the collaboration consists of?

I do have a soft spot for the Leicas lore and wouldn't mind owning a system from them down the road, but untill I sell a kidney, one of the kids and some odds&ends, I dont think it will be likely to happen.
Panasonic giving their tech away so Leica digital bodies actually work.

Petrochemist

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
I think it would be hard to compare them, since the "real" Leica lenses are in a completely different mount (M or L). You'd be looking at comparisons that have them mounted on different bodies, which affects the performance. I was going to say that maybe one could compare the L mount lenses from Panasonic to their Leica brand counterparts, but it turns out that Panasonic does not label their L mount lenses Leicas. They're called S Pro. Undoubtedly required by their L-mount license with Leica.
I'm pretty sure all the leica mounts can be adapted to MFT.
I know I've used LTM (leica thread mount lenses - but not actually leica models) which is one of the shorter registration leica mounts. Such adapting would be 100% manual but all the Leica lenses I've used or even just seen have been manual anyway. I've also seen advertised Leica M, L & R adapters...

Real Name
Butch Oakey
I agree with most above. Seems they are both different formats and different lens mounts. The only comparable Leica cameras and Lumix would be the Type 109 which is a Leica LX100, and a couple of other point and shoots. And with these comparable cameras, there really is no difference in performance and lens quality.
Is there any difference between the LX100 and the 109?

Atom Ant

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Adam
Is there any difference between the LX100 and the 109?
My D-Lux has rectangular buttons; my wife's LX100 has round buttons.

My D-Lux needs the accessory grip; my wife's LX100 comes with a grip attached.

The menus appear to be the same; maybe some of the options differ, but I haven't noticed them.

My D-Lux uses a subtle red underlines where my wife's LX100 uses a yellow background to highlight menu choices.

My D-Lux was made in Japan; my wife's LX100 was made in China.

I haven't shot the two cameras side by side to see if there is any difference in the output.

The biggest difference I can see is that I've dressed mine up with the accessory grip and a bling* skin from Aki Asahi so we don't pick up each other's cameras in error.

---
* a splendid tartan skin that doesn't appear on his website, received as a very welcome bonus.

I can't answer the original question directly, but I can say that the PL 12-60 2.8-4.0 is without question the most-reliable and optically-satisfying lens in my bag. I bought it as a travel solution, and had no idea I'd love it as much as I do; it certainly outperforms any Canon 24-70 (L or otherwise) that I've ever used. It's on my Em10 95% of the time now.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom