300mm f/4 really that poor?

Real Name
Ian
I thought that after his last video, we agreed to not discuss whatever click-bait topic this shill was trying to sell, nor would we watch his videos which helps him earn a living.

All one has to do is look at the 300/4 PRO Image Showcase thread on this site to know that the lens is quite the performer. I don't need some grey-haired shill telling me how good something is or isn't.

rezatravilla

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Reza Travilla
I thought that after his last video, we agreed to not discuss whatever click-bait topic this shill was trying to sell, nor would we watch his videos which helps him earn a living.
I did give him some uppercut comment on that youtube video @ijm5012 :biggrin:

This is the comment:

"micro four thirds is dead he said....now he still did a review on micro four thirds's lens and i think the camera for recording this video is a micro four thirds too."

That man is totally.....i can't say....there to much sin if i do that hahaha

masayoshi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Masaaki
That bald eagle shot (7:35) with D850, 600mm F/4E is terrible. If that is the image from $12K lens, I wouldn't buy. My Tamron 150-600mm zoom can do better with 1/10 of the price, even with a 1.4 TC on it.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The Grumpy Snapper

Mu-43 Veteran

All one has to do is look at the 300/4 PRO Image Showcase thread on this site to know that the lens is quite the performer. I don't need some grey-haired shill telling me how good something is or isn't.
You'd have to pay me to watch some yutobe "expert" talk about something they're not qualified to talk about.

Gerard

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
........meanwhile, in Finland, by total co-incidence, Peter Forsgård has just released a video where he says how sharp this lens is.
I dont think it is by total co-incidence.
Many of those m43-youtubers are in a constant state of defending the system against attacks from FF users/youtube, of which Tony is an example.
No one of the FF fanboys is defending that format against middle format the way m43 users do.
So if Tony makes a statement, it calls for a response.

The system can be judged by its own standards and has a value in its own right.

whumber

Mu-43 Veteran
I wonder if this is to counter Tony's video ?
Edit, I did not notice @RichardC has already mentioned this one

I don't really see that being a counter to Tony's point at all. There's no comparison against any other combination and when displaying these kinds of images at 1080P on youtube without zooming in to see the details, any lens will look sharp. While I think there's some error in Tony's methodology, I would also say he also made a much more informative comparison than what Peter posted which doesn't really tell you anything at all.

Mack

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Maybe C-AF+MF as what appears this guy is doing, albeit with a Nikon.

OK ,I took a camera or two out in the back yard and just shot them . No tripod, no special scientific target,just auto processed and cropped them. This is the way I take pictures. I only took 6 pictures, Three of some squirrels chasing each other. I do not think the Oly 300 has any issues,but maybe I got a good copy.

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
I'm going to repost a test I did with the 300mm F4 and 1.4 TC. The first shot is the whole image recorded; the second image is a crop from the first image with no resizing (WYSIWYG). The shot was taken through a window due for a cleaning. There was no sharpening or other post processing.

Highrise Glaziers by Graham Moore, on Flickr

Highrise Glaziers Crop by Graham Moore, on Flickr
I think the lens plus TC is quite sharp, especially considering it was hand held. You can see the glazier's earrings and clearly see the rivets in his safety clip.
'Nuff said on this topic on my part.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
I'm going to repost a test I did with the 300mm F4 and 1.4 TC. The first shot is the whole image recorded; the second image is a crop from the first image with no resizing (WYSIWYG). The shot was taken through a window due for a cleaning. There was no sharpening or other post processing.
View attachment 761827
Highrise Glaziers by Graham Moore, on Flickr
View attachment 761828
Highrise Glaziers Crop by Graham Moore, on Flickr
I think the lens plus TC is quite sharp, especially considering it was hand held. You can see the glazier's earrings and clearly see the rivets in his safety clip.
'Nuff said on this topic on my part.
Not entirely convincing for me, actually... It looks... okay, not amazing. I wonder if it's due to shooting through glass hand-held...

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
Not entirely convincing for me, actually... It looks... okay, not amazing. I wonder if it's due to shooting through glass hand-held...
Keep in mind that it's shot through 2 layers of glass, the outside pane is dirty, and the cropped image is less than 1% of the total area of the original image.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom